Last reply 4 months ago
Ms Hack-Holiday Essential(s) 😎

Pre holiday – a list
On holiday – my yoga mat
Post holiday – good memories

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

merfield
1 year ago

Well, good on you. I had to give up yoga- couldn’t get up off the floor, now I do 15 mins on home exercise bike, exercise stretches in bed, frame walking in kitchen and stand up sit downs x20. What’s your special diet vikivictoria? Could it help PPMS? Enjoy your hols. Somewhere nice? Hot? Sunny? Warm? By the sea? Abroad? ENJOY!

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hi @merfield. Good on you for finding something you CAN do. There’s always chair yoga (have you tried this?).

I was on Ashton Embryos Best Bet Diet for over 10years which worked brilliantly (no dairy, gluten legumes) I then stopped eating refined sugar and processed food and now I dont drink alcohol, coffee or eat any sugar as my cognitive ability was declining (I don’t have mobility issues, but I was loosing my brain!) My current eating programme is called a ketogenic diet, its quite paleo like. It’s working brilliantly for me, I can recall memories, I have more energy, my head is clearer and I’m happier. It’s hard work and it needs commitment, feel free to message me if you want to know more.

The holiday hack is a request from shiftms, however I have just come back from Mallorca. I had an amazing time with my family. Thank you x

merfield
1 year ago

@vikivictoria, no I hadn’t heard of chair yoga so thanks, I’ll get on to that. How scary to find you were loosing your brain, sounds worse than dodgy body parts. Good that the diets you tried worked for you. I’m gluten free already but dark chocolate!!!!! when I’m stressed I find I’m putting a piece in my mouth! Or 2!!! Ketogenic diet sounds interesting – I’m up for anything that might keep me moving, but would I have to give up chocolate? I guess so – it has sugar. I’d love to know more about the diet thanks. And last, although I’ve given up travel now, I’m all for it, and love to hear about other’s travels. Luckily, we did a few distance trips before MS. Good to hear you enjoyed Mallorca, we haven’t been but I love Spain and until this year we managed to go to Lanzarote for winters – my partner’s got emphysema. So thanks again for your v helpful message….x

merfield
1 year ago

P.S. Doing my morning check of shiftms posts I thought this was interesting

Myelin Regeneration Therapies

You may have checked it out already…x

potter
1 year ago

Holiday Hack for me is planning the trip when the crowds will be at a minimum and the weather on the cool side. I researched, planned and reserved everything for our Grand Canyon trip last January. I found out that hotel reservations fill up fast and I wanted to go at the earliest date possible to go. We went to Mt Rushmore last year and went so early several tourist attractions weren’t open yet. We decided it was worth missing them in order to vacation that early. We just got back from our Grand Canyon trip, weather was perfect and lots of driving attractions to see. I have already started planning a trip to Yellowstone next year. Potter

joemartinuk
1 year ago

I never pay to reserve a seat on a plane. I always ask at a check-in desk for an aisle seat. With or without walking stick no-one has ever declined me this request. I must have done this 40 times and it has never failed! Great way to get leg room and not have to clamber over other people!

Also, if you do have an obvious disability alot of airports have a side queue for security checks. Saves times and is less stressful/rushed than the main queue.

Anonymous
1 year ago

@potter way to go, I’d love to go to Yellowstone

@joemartinuk smart thinking ✈️

cameron
1 year ago

A few years back I’d done my Achilles tendon in and the physio said I wouldn’t be able to cope with my planned journey to Oz unless I had assistance at the airport. I didn’t relish getting in a wheelchair but told myself that no-one knew me and it was silly to feel embarrassed. It meant there was absolutely no walking from airport entrance to the door of the plane. It stopped me getting fatigued and made the journey much easier. You need to book it when you book the flight but there’s no charge. Knowing that I can always get this service – whatever the airline – has given me the confidence to travel more and travel further.

Anonymous
1 year ago

@cameron, I had the same experience when I first relapsed 10 years ago. I wasn’t diagnosed at that point, but paralysed on one side. I had a trip booked to NZ. It was great whizzing through security.

joanjordan
1 year ago

Good Morning! I just read an e-mail from Ed about holiday hacks. I want to share my experience from last year’s holiday when I brought just enough medication with me. My flight home was cancelled and we didn’t know how we were going to get home for a few hours. We arrived home a day later but my advice is to take extra medication with you. Bon voyage!!! xx JJ

susiet
1 year ago

Hi everyone, I have MS and I have created a fantastic resource for wheelchair using travellers, drawing together thousands of reviews and resources both from and for wheelchair using travellers. 90+ countries featured already! Massively useful to read other wheelchair users experiences of the destination you are planning to visit http://www.wheelchairworld.org
also, I have terrible balance and I have a bed lever which helps me transfer to my wheelchair. I always take this with me on holiday! I am now struggling to get up if the bed is low so I have bought elephant feet which I can also take with me to elevate any low beds.

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hi @susiet, what a great idea to pool together the information. The website looks great. Thanks for posting.

ammatime
4 months ago

I managed to pre book extra legroom on a virgin flight to Barabbas: no extra charge : )

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.