Last reply 2 months ago
MS and silicone implants

Hello, just wondering if anyone on this forum has had silicone implants in the past, and thinks that the silicone might have triggered their MS?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
2 months ago

Hi @vikilou and welcome.

Here’s an article from our respected friends at St Barts:-

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2017/09/clinicspeak-researchspeak-breast.html

Hope that’s got that off your chest now…….. 😉

vikilou
2 months ago

Many thanks, that was an interesting read, and more up to date than the FDA website.

mlgilber1
2 months ago

I have implants, but have no idea if they triggered the ms, but I don’t think so. I got them when I was 21 and was just diagnosed at 33 and I only started having symptoms a yr ago.

peterfrancis
2 months ago

Unless it’s a Silicone Brain or Spinal implant then I shouldn’t think so no.
I fail to see the connection between MS and Silicone implants myself.

vikilou
2 months ago

Thanks for letting me know Michelle, I also had my implants when I was 21. I was diagnosed with MS in 2013 and found out they were leaking in 2016. Consequently I had them removed. I had the silicone implanted in 1999. I was always concerned they might have triggered my MS as a surgeon once told me than anything foreign placed in the body can cause an immune response. I know there have been a number of studies, and the FDA ruled out any connection. I have sent you a friend request as I have a few more questions to ask you. I hope this is okay.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.