Last reply 8 months ago
MS and AVN

Hi MSers!
Hope all of you are fighting fit and keeping all symptoms at bay!
I have a small problem to share with you all and hope to receive some positive feedback.
My wife is an MSer for the past 5 years. She is on Tecfidera which has helped to keep her RRMS under control. Everything was hunky dory until a few months back she was diagnosed with AVN(Avascular Necrosis). AVN occurs in MSers due to steroid treatment(so doctors need to be careful while meting out treatment).
She was put on Alendronate to reduce the symptoms… but no considerable results achieved after 6 months of trial. Now she has been advised to undergo Total Hip Replacement (THR) surgery.
We are a bit skeptical though whether to go further with the surgery or not?
Hope to have your inputs on this issue…. Whether anyone is/has experienced something similar?!
Any kind of response will be highly appreciated.
Thanks and best regards,
Vishal

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
9 months ago

@vishal1021gmail-com , I see that Avascular Necrosis can be caused by Steroid use. This is why, in the UK, we are limited to two bouts of Steroids per year.

Alendronate seems to be the correct treatment, but if it’s not working then you have to trust the medical professionals. I’m sure they will have shown you the medical evidence, e.g. X-Ray, to justify their proposed course of action.

grandma
9 months ago

Hip surgery is major in any country. I had mastectomy when I had breast cancer, didn’t have reconstruction cos you don’t have unnecessary surgery with MS. As my ex other half said at the time, you might have the most fabulous pair of boobs, but be in a wheelchair. 7 years later I am now in a wheelchair but I am glad I didn’t take the risk and the prosthesis isn’t bad. Joking apart, think long and hard about it before you decide. Either way I hope all goes well😍

@stumbler, @grandma….thanks for the advice…. Highly appreciated!

aabreu
8 months ago

This is not an easy situation.
My wife has had both hips replaced. It was not a matter of if, but when she finally had surgery. At some point, my wife could no longer take the pain. It was sad to see her let her pain situation get so out of control. Then after the surgery, her recovery took much longer. Her muscles had atrophied by then. All I’m saying is that letting the pain get to that level is risky too. I know my MS symptoms get worse when I am under stress.

edmontonalberta
8 months ago

@vishal1021gmail-com

I am not sure about surgery + MS… However I know a bit about surgery since I played Slo-Pitch in a seniors league for years.

Two players had knee surgery (on both) this winter. Hip replacement is also fairly common in our league. Everyone is back playing ball this summer; yet they will move slower… Except for me – MS destroyed my ability to run; so I will be Coaching.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.