Last reply 2 weeks ago
Ms Amber Rudd is after 83% of us

A bit of a rant to be honest.
I might be wrong, but from reading this link.

Disabled pensioners freed from ‘unnecessary’ benefits checks – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47443955

I get the impression that she has read a few pip reports and noticed far to many of us are beating the system.
So by the looks of things, more hoops to jump through as if there isn’t enough.
I’m glad to read her dad’s doing ok though.
Work makes you free. To coin a phrase.
Where will we be sent when we can’t….I wonder?
I’m having my first PIP assessment this weekend it’s not looking to promising, only been waiting since October.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@highlander , I’ve read this piece and can’t see a problem with it.

Pensioners won’t be subject to a stringent reassessment. That seems reasonable. After all, the majority of advances in medical science are for the benefit of the younger demographic.

One has to acknowledge that the latest Disease Modifying Therapies (DMTs) are becoming almost a cure. Well, they seem to be able to halt the progression of MS!

Then, it’s down to how MS actually affects you, which is the way it’s always been.

Yes, the present methods of assessment are draconian and need to be addressed. But we have to accept that MS does not now need to equate to disability these days.

highlander
2 weeks ago

@stumbler
Looks like I’ve missed the bus then despite telling doctors for years my right leg wasn’t behaving it’s self,and oh yeah the balance issues.
Just being grumpy.
Sorry… not your fault.
Cheers

grandma
2 weeks ago

Loved the bit on the film where in Northern Ireland they claim that most people get a tribunal within 11 weeks, average in Britain is 11 months. Should we all jump on a ferry? ๐ŸฅŠ๐Ÿ˜œ

highlander
2 weeks ago

@grandma
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚!
You’ve made me laugh!
Thank you๐Ÿ˜˜

samanthathompson
2 weeks ago

I am confused though, PIP stops after 64 doesn’t it? So from what age do they consider you a pensioner? I have asked the MS Society about this on Twitter to which no reply. I am obviously missing something, my cognitive function isn’t great today. Please help!

Thanks
Sam

grandma
2 weeks ago

@samanthathompson if your in the uk and you get PIP, you get it for life, if you get Carers allowance, you have to change that to Attendence Allowance when you 66 and there is no facility in that benefit for a mobility car, which is why hm government is taking every mobility car they can on principle if you’re late 50’s or early 60’s like me they will take the mobility car away, hope you don’t appeal and get it back, because if you win, and get the car back, you also get mobility for life. Forewarned is forearmed๐Ÿ‘น๐ŸฅŠ๐Ÿ˜œ

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@samanthathompson , PIP does not stop when your reach State Pension Age. You will still be experiencing the additional costs associated with being disabled.

samanthathompson
2 weeks ago

Thank you both so much! I honestly thought I would lose it at 65! I don’t know how I got that in my head ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Sam

merfield
2 weeks ago

By the time I was diagnosed I was way past 65 so too late to apply for PIP or a motability vehicle ( I funded a cheap 14yr old Vaneo myself). It seems that once youโ€™re past โ€˜old ageโ€™ the need to travel anywhere should become obsolete…… not so, in my book!! MS Warriors Unite!!!!!๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿป

stumbler
2 weeks ago

@merfield , this is considered the Disability Allowance for the over 65s :-

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

Alas, no mobility component……… ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.