hollylb10 03/01/18
Last reply 5 months ago
MRI scan

I had an MRI today on my brain, I have had one before but tbh forgot what it was like. Anyway it was bloody awful as expected!

I was really worried as when I thought it was all over he said I’m going to put you further in and do your neck as well. I wasn’t expecting that and was then in the scanner for another 5/6 mins. Is that normal?

Afterwards he then asked me was anyone going to be in touch with me about my results, I obviously said yes my neuro as I have MS and then he said you will hear in 10 days.

I just got a strange vibe that got me a bit concerned. :/

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

potter
5 months ago

It was probably just a after thought, it seems like my neuro is always of thinking of something extra to do. He’ll say something like ‘While your in there lets do this’ or he just wants to take a look around. It never means anything important. Potter

stumbler
5 months ago

@hollylb10 , don’t read anything into the Radiographer’s comments. Whilst they see a lot of scans, they can’t quite analyse the results like you Consultant.

It’s not unusual to scan the brain and down the spine, which can take some time, especially if a contrast is used as well.

hollylb10
5 months ago

Thanks for the messages. When I went in he said I was just having a routine head scan that would take about 12 mins – it took a lot longer!

edmontonalberta
5 months ago

@hollylb10

I wish my MRI scanners were as thorough as yours. I had spine surgery 18 months ago; they took a tiny chunk of my hip then fused that between two vertebra just below my skull. Following that, 12 months ago I was diagnosed with MS.

I keep telling them I want my spine scanned once again; my left arm is shot so I will need further spine surgery. Both my Spine Surgeon & Neurologist tell me I have MS – then ignore everything else I mention. The MRI scanners say they were not allowed to scan my spine even though I was hooked up to the machine; so I need a doctor to set that up. Yet my next appointment is more than 6 months away; and then I will have to wait longer if they decide to set up an MRI…

Consider yourself fortunate they are going above & beyond to figure out what is going on… 😉

hollylb10
5 months ago

I had to request this scan over and over again as I don’t see why I can’t see how my disease is developing, because the only true way to tell in my opinion is from a scan!

I do already have a diagnosis, I am just lucky I had a neuro that decided to listen to me 🙂

hollylb10
5 months ago

My husband had surgery on his spine…..we had to pay over £300 for his own scan before anyone would listen to him. He was then fortunate enough to be sent straight to a private hospital on the NHS to have surgery. I don’t know where you live @edmontonalberta but in the UK it seems very difficult to get an MRI. The top consultant I was sent to see didn’t even see my scan, he also scaled me 0 on the disability scale and then put me on Tecfidera. In my opinion this is the first time a neuro listened to my needs. And that was to see if there was any difference from nearly 3 years ago!

potter
5 months ago

My neuro wants me to go in for a scan, I think I am going to skip it. It is the same scan I had before that took 4 hours. They let me have a bathroom break at 2 hours. I don’t want to be in the tube for that long or spend $1,000. I wonder if they could do a shorter scan on me. What type of MRI is it that only takes 12 minutes? Potter

nutshell88
5 months ago

First time i did mri it passed easy second time i burst out crying like a child lol i had no idea about diagnosis parents never told me but yrs after maybe 5 they were checking my neck guess they started doing mri +15 or 20 minutes. Gladfuly no negative results till now on the spine and i hope you the same.

hollylb10
5 months ago

I have never known an MRI to take 4 hours wow! Thats hard!

It was more like 20 mins that I was in there for. It was in 3/4 min bursts so I got a few seconds rest between each one!

arknat
5 months ago

@potter,

Wonder why they take 4 long hours ?
My brain scan = 45 min
cervical+thoracic spine = 45 min

Total hour and a half or so and fairly detailed.

nutheadmom
5 months ago

Long as I have had an MRI WAS about hour & half and that was brain & entire spine with contrast! 4 hours … wow, ate you sure it didn’t just seem that long???!!!

edmontonalberta
5 months ago

@hollylb10

I thought my name was descriptive; I live in Edmonton, Alberta; in Canada.

My timeline for an MRI is the same as yours; about 20 minutes. My challenge is that I have to keep still, yet I have the ability to blank everything out whenever I want so I almost fall asleep. This works fine in the Dentist’s chair but not so much while having an MRI… LOL

And how could they rank you “0 on the disability scale”? The fact that they put you on Tecfidera for MS means you have MS! What am I missing?

hollylb10
5 months ago

@edmontonalberta I have had sensory issues, I had a clear spinal MRI about 4/5 yrs ago. Then I had an issue with my eye and had a brain scan that showed lesions….and the only cause of my eye issue was going to be neurological so it was obvious I had MS.

When ever I have seen my neuro, on examination they can never find anything wrong with me. That’s why I scored 0. But I do get fatigue every so often and sensory issues like pins and needles/pain.

I fell asleep on my 2nd scan and then stated twitching so they soon wake you up don’t they? Lol

lindagoodman
5 months ago

Hi Holly. In GB we are lucky that we don’t have to pay for hospital treatment. However there is a big downside. You wait many months for the appointment so you need to be very patient. MRI scans are very expensive so if the consultant is working to a budget they must decide if the cost is really necessary. But we have the choice. We can pay for private medical insurance and have the treatment we want. when we want it, if we can afford it.

hollylb10
5 months ago

I didn’t have a long wait at all. Only a few weeks, I guess I was lucky!

lindagoodman
5 months ago

I forgot to mention that I asked for a copy of my MRI scan when it was done 5 years ago. I paid about £50 and it was given to me on disc to take to my consultant. That said, they probably do it differently now, to your Smartphone or something.

potter
5 months ago

My last MRI was 10 years ago, maybe the machines were slower, you had to hold still for the 2 hours and then had your bathroom break and back in for another 2 hours. I had a 8 o clock appointment and finished at 12.00. They did it one time the regular way and the second time with contrast. Potter

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.