Last reply 2 months ago
MRI

Hi,

Can I ask if anyone has had multiple MRI scans to monitor their progress? I had one when I was initially diagnosed 21 years ago and none since, I have asked if I should be monitored multiple times but have been told it won’t help and is too costly.
I just want to see if I am being “fobbed off”
Thanks in advance

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

yvonnemair
2 months ago

Hi @abbie_haslin, I’m the same, I was diagnosed 23 yeas ago, I had an mri then and none since.

abbie_haslin
2 months ago

@yvonnemair I see some people mention scans but I have none and I am pretty sure the only one I ever had probably doesn’t even exist now!

Anonymous
2 months ago

Hi, I had my first MRI in August 2018 diagnosed with RRMS then had another MRI in December. I’m not sure if I will be having others. Have a neuro appointment next week so I’ll find out then if I’ll be having any more scans

stumbler
2 months ago

I think the following gives an answer :-

smack
2 months ago

Over the years I have had several scans. I think the doctor looks for differences. New lesions or old that are scarred over. My last scan of neck showed lesion activity so I started Ocrevus. Previous scan in 2016 showed no activity and I stopped Tysabri and started PT and exercise regime. MS is relentless with me. MRIs are tools for your doc to help chart your ups and downs. Use them if you can. I have good insurance so easy for me to say.

mlgilber1
2 months ago

Aaron Boster just posted this YouTube video about why getting an annual MRI is important. Hopefully I linked it correctly.

highlander
2 months ago

@abbie_haslin
Hi my hospital have told me that (after complaining) I should see my ms nurse every 3 months and have an mri yearly then meet up with my Neuro.
Mind you I’ve only been on the books if you like for around a year but all seems to be going to plan for now. Eventually.
Hope this helps

richellek
2 months ago

@abbie_haslin I have had 2 a year for the last several years. It helps my Neuro keep track of old and hopefully no new lesions. My last meditation was Lemtrada and my last dose was about 3 years ago and no new symptoms since and overall improvement of my MRI scans(brain and Cspine)
I would demand one if I were you, just to make sure nothing has progressed

cammo
2 months ago

@abbie_haslin I have one every 6 months but I have connections in Radiology. Probably wouldn’t do it so often if it wasn’t free.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.