Last reply 1 week ago
Mobility scooter for travel

Ok I’ll keep it short 😘 I can walk continuously for about 20 mins say about 1.5 km (on a good day ! ) then I’m done ☹️ So thinking of getting a mobility scooter for holidays/city breaks…. now I’ve no idea of the logistics of how it all works at airports, never used the disabled help before because I can walk just not long distances. Grateful for recommendations of a) travel scooters and b) the biz on airport routine………Go !!!!!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
2 weeks ago

Hi @evieg, I’m one of the old codgers, have had a mobility scooter for about 2 years. If you need a scooter in this country then buy one, you probably only need to spend £3-500 for a small one that comes into 4 parts and quite easily goes into the back/ boot if a car. Airports no probem, they will provide a wheelchair at the point where you have to give the mobility scooter up when it goes into the hold, but you can also consider hearing a scooter which you can do in most countries now. If you are unsure about buying one or if money is an issue, start by checking you local Cash Converter type shops, they usually have lots for sale at very good prices , they, like new cars, don’t hold their value, and a lot of for obvious reasons are used by older people who pass on, go into homes, get more disabled and the family buy them a new/updated scooter hence the plethora available. Good luck😜

hank
2 weeks ago

hi, i am like grandma an old codger but i have had 3 mobility scooters and now have a folding electric wheelchair for distances . Be very careful when making your choice, i and my wife have been to U.S.A. for last few years both with mobility scooters and electric wheelchair.
No problems with either, however having used both i prefer the electric wheelchair, its better for distance ( i have 2 batteries one in each side each will do approx 12 miles each so total of 24 miles before needing charged , my mobility scooters couldnt come near this).
Also i find the wheelchair more stable (have tipped out of mobility scooter once not good).
Air travel with the wheelchair is no problem , drive it down to plane door , take out batteries fold wheelchair and board plane , wheelchair is waiting when you get off plane.
I also find you are takenmore seriously in a wheelchair especially in U.S. as lots of people use mobility scooters there because of their size. The electric wheelchair is more manouverable,
mine is american made by company called fold and go all their workers are in wheelchairs so they have a good idea what is needed . the price is about the same 3000 dollars.
Whichever you choose take your time and shop around before making your decision , also check with civil aviation authority as some batteries are too big for air travel .
Finally good luck and enjoy !

yours
hank

evieg
2 weeks ago

Thank you so much for replies and info, it’s a strange limbo being fully mobile but yet only for 20 minutes then everything just shuts down….I know you all understand 🤗

If you still want a scooter I got mine on ebay

kimarie
2 weeks ago

Hi @evieg , I’m slightly less codgerish at (low) 40’s. Similar to you – I can walk, just not great distances as the muscles fatigue and i start tripping over my own feet. After much pestering from my husband, and me getting over my own issues regarding getting one (I think it’s quite a psychological business), I bought a scooter.
It’s great, it’s smallish, comes apart and goes in the back of my car, but there are most certainly issues. I’d just say think about how you’ll use it before you buy one.
I take my daughter to school and the journey is very hilly and it really struggles with reduced battery life as a result. I’ve also ridden it around some incredibly muddy and swampy English Heritage sites. I got caught in a thunderstorm and rode it through very bumpy flood waters. All this on basically a scooter designed for shopping centres. I have no plans to change my ways and won’t buy anything that I can’t get in the car myself so I’m a bit stuck there.
My scooter is kind of a bit dead now, I’ve only had it 2 years but fortunately my husband is pretty handy and is keeping it limping on. I do need to get a new one though and I’ll definitely be looking at something a little more robust.
We are planning a trip to Berlin at some point and it will have to come with me, I did look at the airlines and as @hank said wheelchair/mobility scooters travel for free.
The other thing to note is stuff like drop kerbs. I went to London and only really made it because I had helpful friends lifting it up and down kerbs – there were lots of high ones. I also got a few taxis as there weren’t so many accessible Tube stations so that’s a consideration too. Obviously the bus would have been fine, but they scare me a bit.
Hope some of this rambling helps.

grandma
2 weeks ago

@kimarie For future reference, the buses in London are great. They gave dig sliding doors in the middle,if you are waiting at a bus stop in London and you are in a mobility scooter/wheelchair, they will pull up. Large middle doors open ramp descends automatically and hey presto you’re in, and I found, when I gave my travelling companion my card to go to the front any pay, be it Oyster or Contactless, in both cases he was waived away by the driver and I travelled for free!👏😜😍

evieg
2 weeks ago

Yeah you’re so rite it’s the logistics of getting about with a mix of walking/limping/scootering !!!!! 🙄
Like you it’s the mental hurdle of acceptance, i need to be realistic about my capabilities, I always loved city breaks but clinging on to my husband’s arm isn’t enough now, we still have teenage lad at home (other two boys away at uni) so I hate feeling like I’m holding everyone back on holiday ☹️ Even the walk to the departure gate is the the north face of the Eiger to me flip sake. I’m gonna have to just bite the bullet and get a damn scooter….onwards and upwards 💪🏻

kimarie
2 weeks ago

Thanks @grandma I will pluck up the courage to do london buses, thanks for the tips. @eveig good luck with your next move. It is a hurdle, but once you hobble over it it’s actually quite liberating, you do get a bit more independence back.

grandma
1 week ago

@evieg Onwards & Upwards is the right way to go!👏🎉🥂

barnwell
1 week ago

Like the above have said, scooters were just a mental block for me too. Once you are over the initial hurdle of accepting they are there to help ourselves and nobody takes a blind bit of notice, it’s like a new life and opens no end of opportunities again and brings back a lot of our old selves once more.

On the same subject, when you take one to the airport do you take it up to the plane or leave it at customs and use a chair?

bullman
1 week ago

@evieg I have a mobility scooter but am about to sell on ebay as now wheelchair bound and can’t get on scooter.

It’s great as self folds to fit in car boot.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.