gpeps 14/10/14
Last reply 3 years ago
Mission: Silence

Hi all, we’re excited to announce a new fundraising campaign for Shift.ms – Mission: Silence. In short it’s a 48 hour sponsored silence from 7pm on Thursday 20th November to 7pm on Saturday 22nd November.

Please visit http://www.silence.ms to sign up or to find out more.

Why a sponsored silence?

1) The event will raise funds to allow Shift.ms to reach and help MSers support each other through diagnosis and beyond. MS is a silent and often isolating disease. By joining the Shift.ms community, MSers can break the silence and talk to others who understand.

2) Unlike many endurance fundraising campaigns, the 48 hour silence is open to all, no matter of your fitness or mobility level. All you’ve got to do is stay quite for 48 hours…

Don’t let work / family etc. get in your way – we’re encouraging everyone taking part to continue with their life; going to work, going out with friends, looking after your kids etc. – we just ask you to do it silently. Sign up at http://www.silence.ms and we’ll send you a silence pack that will help you communicate the challenge.

Are you in?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

graham100
3 years ago

Hi yes watched the clip, but to be honest, as the majority of MSers are female,, what chance is there of a 2day silence?? Lol

DJDsouza
3 years ago

No comment….

DJDsouza
3 years ago

I think it’s a great idea though πŸ˜€

finchy
3 years ago

Can I still talk to myself and to the tv? I always like to give my opinion in Homes Under the Hammer although we still dont have a tv thats interested in my opinion.

I’m up for it.

Eddy

Anonymous
3 years ago

Haha good valid point Graham. Have to get the girlfriend sponsored, or gagged, if they refuse.

jj5sim
3 years ago

Graham100 -by you doubting a women’s capability of staying silent to raise money for shift, I would hope that it makes them more determined and prove you wrong!

graham100
3 years ago

Jonny. I hope they do too, starting with my wife. Lol

stumbler
3 years ago

@graham100 , that course you went on, “how to win friends and influence people” – well, I’d apply for a refund. lol πŸ˜† :mrgreen:

northernlass
3 years ago

Sounds like a great idea and at least we can type out our words and thoughts on here or facebook etc so silent yes but never never quiet..!!. I’d like to give it a go πŸ™‚ and Lol @graham 100 bring it on πŸ™‚

graham100
3 years ago

Haha. Even less chance for a northernlass. Lol. X

finchy
3 years ago

Well when i start on the sponsored silence you may be pleased to know that you will not be receiving a posting from me as I rely on Dragon speech to text software.

Eddy

highheeledfagin
3 years ago

Wow, this took a weirdly sexist turn amazingly quickly.

I just don’t see how 48 hours is possible. What with children, bosses, clients, phone calls and many other things that people have to deal with, that’s a really, really long time.

gpeps
3 years ago

It’s not going to be easy, but a fundraising challenge isn’t meant to be. I have a five week old who is refusing to do it, so that forces me to take part.

You in @finchy @graham100 @northernlass @L3301 @jonny @DJDsouza ?

It’ll be good to have some company.

@highheeledfagin @stumbler – can you be tempted??

Here’s a second vid to keep you entertained: http://youtu.be/kipXB-Jd_50

graham100
3 years ago

Sorry but we still run the salsa club, and i take the money as they arrive, so not really possible not to greet people, though lots of the team would love me to be silent I’m sure. Lol. Good luck.

northernlass
3 years ago

I don’t think I would be able to do it for more than 2 minutes to be honest.. sorry but it’s a great idea.. good luck to those who can do it πŸ™‚

kirstyscotland8
3 years ago

I work in a call center so I’d be fired! Good luck everyone though πŸ™‚ xx

cassandrams
3 years ago

For anyone worried about work… the silence takes place over a Friday and a Saturday, so it’ll just be one day at work if you work Monday-Friday. We’ll send you all the kit you need to explain to your colleagues in advance what you’ll be doing, and even rope them in too! Can understand why working in a call centre might be a little challenging… but if you have the sort of job where you’re mainly based by a computer and could use email for the day instead of phone, then why not give it a go? The idea is that your silence will be so deafening it will draw attention to you and help you raise more awareness.

@finchy I talk to myself all the time too. I think that’s the bit I’m going to find hardest!

Feel free to ask any questions below or email me ([email protected]).

baobab
3 years ago

so glad I didn’t friend @graham when he asked, who needs enemies! Good luck to all doing the silence πŸ™‚

graham100
3 years ago

@baobab, I’m rather confused about your comment? Why am I anyone’s enemy??

baobab
3 years ago

I’m sure you’re no ones enemy @graham100, just a joke about your sexist attitude ;P

graham100
3 years ago

Realised that after. Forgot what I had wrote earlier. Lol

stumbler
3 years ago

Blame it on the “cog-fog”, @graham100 . πŸ˜‰

cazz
3 years ago

Hiya everyone, I’m new on here, even though I was aware of Shift.MS from the 2014 conference in Manchester (think it was 2014) I did forget to join, my memory is not what it was haha, I have signed up to Mission silence and am underway with my sponsors already! yay! Tonight I shall be taking my sponsor form out with me to get some more sponsors from my drunk friends haha best time to get em, you know they have money on them because they are out buying drinks and they are all drunk and happy so more likely to sponsor me, good plan Caz πŸ™‚

Anyway I’m sort of in a rush to get ready here, last minute as usual, haha it’s not my fault everything just takes me longer even thinking about it takes longer haha jokes aside now, I just wanted to ask and raise an important point refering to this;

1) The event will raise funds to allow Shift.ms to reach and help MSers support each other through diagnosis and beyond. MS is a silent and often isolating disease. By joining the Shift.ms community, MSers can break the silence and talk to others who understand.

My question is (which I probably should have asked before I decided to do it and signed up) yes thats a great cause but where is the money I raise going, what are you using it for? Because I wouldn’t say that in itself needs much if any funding ( refers to 1) above). I know that when i’m asking people to sponsor me they will be questioning exactly what the money is for and now I myself as a person with MS for err… about 4 maybe 5 years because I can’t really remember, am asking the the same question.

anyone?

kirstyscotland8
3 years ago

Hi @cazz ! I think I can answer your question. Well, the shift.ms page Cass sent me last month when I was getting sponsorships for shift can answer it anyway, but allow me to copy and paste!! πŸ™‚

“All money raised will help Shift.ms reach and support more MSers.
Funds received go towards the following:

Website
Funds help to maintain the website; making sure that it works and is safe for MSers to use
confidently. We take on board the ideas of our community and use funds for new website
developments, making it easier for MSers to communicate and support each other.

Communications
It’s one thing to develop a website, but it’s not much help if people don’t know it exists. Part
of our job is to try and make MSers aware we are here, as soon after their diagnosis as
possible. We know this is the time when Shift.ms can be most beneficial.
Funds raised help us explore the most effective ways of doing this.

Projects
Money raised for Shift.ms goes towards projects, created in conjunction with the community.
We like to focus on ideas that will benefit MSers soon after diagnosis.
Examples of projects we have done in the past are the Gallop and Belong films, People’s Hot
Topic and MS Reports.

The Energy
To ensure we can continue to provide support for MSers and protect our long term future, in
2014 we will be focussing on developing The Energy – our volunteer programme. As we are
continually working towards becoming self-sustaining, the development of The Energy is
critical to the future of Shift.ms.

Money raised will benefit the community members who are involved, by sponsoring training
opportunities, providing rewards and contributing towards the wage of the person employed
to manage them.”

cazz
3 years ago

Thank you Kirsty

cazz
3 years ago

Thank you Kirsty

The Energy sounds like a great idea, there’s nothing in my area especially for the younger people, I’d be up for assisting with something in the Manchester/Greater Manchester area. I have plenty of qualifications and life skills that I don’t know what to do with since I was diagnosed with MS err… A few years ago

Caz xx

baobab
3 years ago

My little girl joined the mission today, it made me feel … I don’t know? comforted/proud/understood? but yeah she is fretting about the actual silence, she has decided to put some cellotape on her lips, just enough so if she opens her mouth to talk it’ll remind her not to πŸ™‚
https://www.justgiving.com/DominiqueRussell/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=DominiqueRussell&utm_campaign=pfp-share

gpeps
3 years ago

Hi @baobab – It’s great that your girl is supporting you in this way. It must be so hard for those around us to know how to support us at times. You’re quite right to feel those emotions!

I am going with a sticker over my mouth with enough room to breathe / drink. Don’t know how it’s going to last, but will report back.

Good luck to all those taking part!

rhona57
3 years ago

This is a very interesting experience. I thought not speaking would be difficult (I am a very chatty person!) but that is the easy bit! I am running a training day today, fortunately the trainers are very supportive and helpful. Despite this, the feeling of not being included totally, or feeling unable to be included and participating is profound. I share my thoughts and feelings with the delegates, all professionals, who now know about Shift.MS! I intend to write up and share this experience! Good luck to all taking part, keep going!

cassandrams
3 years ago

@rhona57 – it’s so interesting that you say this. I have felt exactly the same! I am going out for dinner this evening with friends and it’s going to be such an odd experience, being on the fringes of it all. It has really made me appreciate how important and precious words really are. You must share your post with us when it’s done!

Cass x

azlemed
3 years ago

gpeps
3 years ago

@azlemed – amazing! Did you help make that happen?? Great to hear the word is out there.

How did you all find it? 48hrs is a long time, but I mostly enjoyed it. I certainly got a lot done while at work.

People generally seemed very responsive once you showed them the Silence card.

Challenging times:
– showing frustration in silence
– communicating with an eight week old baby
– communicating with your wife when she’s terrible at lip reading. Paper and pen were a necessity.

Brilliant work with the fundraising, we’ve been blown away with how Shift.msers have taken on this challenge. We’ll count up the numbers this week and let you know.

Thanks
G

azlemed
3 years ago

Hi, I didn’t make the article happen, just saw it when I was reading the news. I didn’t do the silence, too hard with four kids, husband and a skating competition on Saturday.

Am so amazed and impressed by everyone who did manage it

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.