Last reply 2 months ago
Managing 2 health conditions at once.

Hi,

Was just wondering whether or not anyone else here another health condition/disability besides MS to deal with.

I have Type 1 Diabetes, was diagnosed with it at age 11, my Dad had it and his Mother also had it, so runs in the family. My uncle also has it, he was first misdiagnosed with type 2 but later diagnosed as type 1.

Was just thinking about the difficulties people have trying to manage 2 conditions at once, I have had problems with remembering to take insulin at the correct times and the correct doses along with taking MS medication. Brain Fog and cognitive thinking problems sometimes plays havoc with taking meds.

Loss of appetite too at times which does not work well with Diabetes.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

marci
3 months ago

I have both.but diabetes type2. Its a challenge for sure.

edmontonalberta
3 months ago

@peterfrancis

Nailed with spine surgery after my right arm went completely dead. While recuperating from that – was diagnosed with PPMS.

I believe I have the MS under reasonable control yet my neck is acting up. Another MRI is hopefully in my near future – will see what unfolds.

Out of curiosity, what was the purpose of your question?

peterfrancis
3 months ago

@edmontonalberta

It was just something that came across my mind, that’s all. What other kinds of health problems do people have in conjunction with MS if any at all.

Just a random thought, nothing more.

stumbler
3 months ago

@peterfrancis , one condition is enough for me, so I can well imagine that managing two conditions becomes more complicated.

But, we have technology at our fingertips, which can make management of two conditions a lot easier. Use your smartphone to give you reminders to take your insulin and other important management tasks.

You may forget, but computers don’t, so use them to make life less complex……. ๐Ÿ˜‰

grandma
3 months ago

You want to try getting breast cancer 18 years after being dxd with ms, itywasn’t funny, and I admit I looked heavenwards a couple of times and asking what I had done so wrong to deserve it and If so I didn’t even remembering enjoying it! Still I’m here after 7 years and they count 5 as a ‘cure’ so keep fighting whatever the disease๐Ÿ˜

peterfrancis
3 months ago

@grandma

Congrats on beating the dreaded C word….. I’ll need boobs first to try it for myself ;}

stumbler
3 months ago

Careful what you wish for, @peterfrancis . Us blokes can get Breast Cancer too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

peterfrancis
3 months ago

@stumbler

I know, just teasing.

peppergirl
3 months ago

@peterfrancis I have type 1 diabetes too for 26 years and RRMS officially diagnosed in July 2017. Think I ‘ignored’ MS symptoms believing everything was related to diabetes but I’m coping, prioritising my BG control. Eating low carb helps a lot (2 years in) as I don’t have daily fatigue or anything. Started Copaxone about 5 weeks ago with no problems (three shots a week) as I’m not prepared to start anything more extreme just yet which may upset my BG’s.

peterfrancis
3 months ago

@peppergirl

Glad to hear that you are coping well.

I seemed to have gone through the RR stage of MS believing I had issues with my Diabetes.

marilynlowery
3 months ago

@peterfrancis, i’ve not been officially diagnosed with ms. in 2006 they diagnosed mine as cramp fascillitation syndrome due to a lack of lesions on the brain. i now have the lesions but am having to jump through hoops for a new doctor and undergo all kinds of testing, again. but, i can give you a rundown of my other diseases that i have/had while dealing with the symptoms of ms and waiting for a diagnosis. thyroid disease/hashimoto’s disease. thyroid cancer. pituitary tumors. meniere’s disease in left ear. copd. leiderhose disease. Hypertrophic osteoarthropathy. recurrent h-pylori. rheumatoid arthritis. and a spine that is so messed up that we are just waiting for it to snap (nothing else can be done for it) so that they can place steel rods from about 5 inches below my neck all the way to the absolute bottom of my spine. not sure if this helps you or not.

peterfrancis
3 months ago

@marilynlowery

Jeeeez, I bet people who complain when they have a cold, really drive you mad, no?.

How do manage to keep sane with that much going on?.

terriewhyte
3 months ago

I was born with cerebral palsy and epilepsy . Later in life suffer from a blood clotting disorder and now ms. ๐Ÿ™‚

embroideress
3 months ago

@peterfrancis I also have essential thrombocytosis, an excess of platelets, dx in 2010. It can be invisible, even to me, so it’s hard to accept taking medicine when I have no symptoms. I’m taking a baby aspirin every day for now. I nearly cried at the haematologist’s visit when I told him of my recent MS dx and wondered how I was going to manage life with two conditions.

@terriewhyte That’s a lot to handle. How do you keep things like symptoms and medications straight? You must be super organized. For example, I was sent to a neurologist in 2012 for numbness in my hand, which was thought to be caused by the ET, turned out to be a relapse of as yet undiagnosed ms. Any tips for those of us with only two (so far) conditions?

mandy121
2 months ago

Hi @peterfrancis I also have type 1 diabetes which Iโ€™ve had since the age of 9. I am on an insulin pump and have been for 18 months which is so helpful with being able to check whether you have given yourself your dose of insulin (Iโ€™m the same sometimes forgetting whether Iโ€™ve done my insulin).

Mandy ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

peterfrancis
2 months ago

Hi mandy

I’ve heard of insulin pumps but never used one before, not too sure how available they are.

I’m finally getting a Freestyle Libre scanner this week to monitor my blood glucose more easily, without trying to prick my finger with unsteady hands, which is great news.

cherish
2 months ago

Sup @peterfrancis ๐Ÿ˜˜

I have ms and relapsing polychondritis.
Both assholes of diseases.

I don’t know much about diabetes I’m afraid, but I guess that’s a stinker too.

Lisa x

peterfrancis
2 months ago

Hey cherish

Diabetes is one of those conditions that varies in how disruptive and how severe it can be.

Type 2 Diabetes is said to be the most manageable and as far as I know some people with Type 2 have gone on to be totally rid of the condition through taking control of their diet and lifestyle etc.

Type 1 on the other hand is a different kettle of Fish.
Firstly Type 1 is incurable, once you have it you have it for life. It is managed by injecting Insulin under the skin and watching what you eat/drink etc.

Someone with Type 1 can develop further health problems with their Eyesight, Kidney Function etc, if it is not controlled well enough.

Some info.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/type1-diabetes.html

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.