Last reply 9 months ago
Magnesium & Vitamin D

Hi All I read a lot of people on here take Vitamin D but I do not hear a lot about Magnesium from my understanding the two go hand in hand. I have also read it is best to take them at different times of the day so they do not compete for pride of place. I have been taking them both for years but always take them together, more for convenience. I have put a link below to start off this thread as I have to start somewhere. I realise there is more info out there LOL! feel free to google.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/387358-vitamin-d-magnesium-interaction/

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

islandgal
9 months ago

Hello bens dad
Well i take many supplements and after researching on it all and having such low energy magnesium is also important to get enough of in the body .helps with energy.so i take it everyday along with my upped 6000iu vit d ( for winter) some people can have low levels and with ms its not so great as we need to be working as wll as possible. Mine just say take daily through day so i take all mine with lunch food. I may split them up . some online info says take various supplements at all sorts of times and with other ones but its all a faff to keep it up so i dont rigidly adheer.

marlon025
9 months ago

Hi Guys,

So are supplements a thing?
Do they help?
My partner suffers with fatigue. Does vitamin D and magnesium help with that?

Anonymous
9 months ago

I take vitamin D once a week it was prescribed by my neurologist I was going to start vitamin C and magnesium in the next month. Now I’m wondering if I should also start omega 3 for concentration.

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Marlon, I would say yes supplements are a thing, some may say no? I take them everyday and I have to say I never get colds. I do not have ms, my son does. I have been trying for years to get him to take them and he is starting to come around. Most people with ms take DMTs which lower your immune system. I would say it is more important to take care of yourself if your immune system is switched off. Fatigue can be a symptom of ms but it can also be a symptom of lack of certain vitamins and minerals. Vitamins are not an instant cure they are a bit like a dog, not just for Christmas but for life! you won’t feel better straight away. It will be a gradual change. Take them with food not on and empty stomach and everyday. They are not a substitute for a healthy balanced diet you need to eat well also. You could always try a Multivitamin and mineral supplement or go all out on the link below. Good luck!

10 Vitamin And Mineral Deficiencies That’s Draining You of Your Energy

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Dominique, Omega 3&6 are all good as far as I’m concerned, very good for inflammation and with ms this seems to be the enemy. Krill oil seems to be the buzz word at the moment but expensive. I’m sure good old fashioned cod liver oil will do the trick, you can get them in high strength or in a bottle if you don’t mind the taste and you could always try eating fish a couple of times a week also. The more the merrier.

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Islandgal, I think I’m on your buzz! If i don’t take them in one I will forget the rest. Only thing I take separate is probiotic tablet. I have them first thing with a drink of water and eat the rest about an hour later with my breakfast. I started off on about 2 and now I’m up to 13 different ones a day. I do eat well also, so I should last forever..LOL… It’s not a cheap habit, I think heroine would be cheaper 🙂 I am never sick so it seems to be working…So far! I hope!

islandgal
9 months ago

Hey bensdad
Iv been taking supps for years as i dont eat meat but have reserched and take more now since my ms as iv also cut out dairy and keep a track on sugar as it makes me worse.so i personally take omega 3, probiotic( mine say take half n hour before meals lots of conflicting there) calcium,iron, vit c to absorb the iron better,b12, b complex , magnesium,. Yes its costly but i feel j want to do the best for myself and lacking diet.
amazon is my friend lol.
Also take turmuric and ginger in smoothies along with organic apple cider vinegar ! Im gona kick ms up the arse as much as poss personally so eating clean helps. Reserched everything out there and diet ( although not a big money maker for the ms drugs companies) does have a big part.
Im against drugs myself and natural not poison approach is my thang.
Eat plant based protein too .no im not some weird hippy just reserched the healthy alternatives out there.
Not to go on but as im on a roll!…..intermittent fasting 8/16 has helped me too
Best of luck with your son 😊

islandgal
9 months ago

Also when first diag 2015 neuro said take 1000iu vit d…iv since upped over time as thats just not enough even on ms website it says 10 ,000iu
It a tad confusing but i went to 2000…3000 which on my bloods showed a decent reading . But now in winter with no sun im on 6000 .
I never over do it with supps but read up on it all to see.doctors are no use just tell you to eat more meat n veg ..blah blah!

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Islandgal, keep up the good work. You seem to be looking after yourself well, I don’t think your a nutty hippy, far from it. Eating well, you are giving your body the best chance you can. I know Docs are not up on nutrients, you need to do your own research on that one! I have heard fasting helps still trying to work out why? Ben is on 6000iu vit D… you need to start somewhere! I did ask the Nuro is there any diet or nutes we should try or Ben should be on. He said no LOL… Funny old world. I’m with you on the probiotics, empty stomach with a drink of water, is the best I can come up with, or if you take yakult, just on an empty stomach.
I done a lot of digging on that one! and if you can get a proboitic with a prebiotic even better! LOL… nutty old world we live in!
Take care

rachaellouise
9 months ago

@bensdad

Things are not easy . Have you chosen a diet protocol to go on for your son yet?

I take both magnesium and vit d 3
Priobotic is hard to decide on but I think it’s needed . I have tried different brands and still not won over yet.
I am trying to find a functional medicine practioner who may be able to direct me with supplements and help with diet . As we are all so unique I think what’s right for your son may not be right for me and vice versa .
Also they can run lab tests. Yes are expensive though but if help then they help. Find a good one ( easier said than done if no recommendations) I think it’s money worth spent if it helps your son or myself .

Best wishes

Rachael x

rachaellouise
9 months ago

@bensdad – I hear some of the reasons fasting works is because it resets the immune system and can then help produce stem cells because the body is starved of food . Something to do with that but a good thing .
I want to do this fasting but just remember sometimes the body isn’t ready for it , until it is built up with nutrients and gained more strength . I tried it and my body isn’t ready yet . Also your son may have a lot of toxins to shift first.

Just a word on Yakult it is dairy and I believe dairy is not good for ms. I have no dairy at all now! There’s been loads of research on it so check it out and see what hat you think.

Rachael x

rachaellouise
9 months ago

@ bensdad

I would Also just like to say fish oil is good if you can find a good source but be careful with that you have to get the ratios correct you need more omega 3 than 6 or it become s inflammatory in the body . I’m not sure of the ratio but think it might be 3 : 1 with 3 being the omega 3 .

I agree with you more fish as the term suggests these are “supplements “ and not to replace a good diet . Food and drinks are the most important then additional support with supplements if necessary.

Rachael

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Rachael, I don’t recommend Yakult, try these I think they are the best I have come across, they have something like 16 strains (more the merrier) and also have prebiotic, which feed the proboitic (I may be able to spell both words soon..LOL)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Probiotic-Supplement-Patented-Release/dp/B071WPYN4B/ref=lp_5977820031_1_10_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1513627328&sr=1-10

They are time release and have a special coating to help them get past the stomach acid, which can kill probiotics. I would say take them on an empty stomach with a drink of water. I take mine first thing in the morning before food and eat an hour later. Some people like their breakfast first thing and cannot wait an hour, if so, take them later on when you are hungry with a drink and eat an hour or so later. I know there is a lot of debate re best time to take probiotics but when you eat you produce acid, this is why I think an empty stomach with a drink of water is best.

Agreed on 3&6 balance is key. I have also read fasting increases certain probiotics to increase in the gut which may help with MS? I also wondered if it was because of food allergies and when you are not eating you are not upsetting your system with foods which are causing allergies? The dilemma goes on! I’m sure I will come up with more soon! LOL
I am doing a lot of research into anti inflammatory foods I will add a link, again some of them may upset certain people as we are all different, but if inflammation is the enemy, it’s probably best to try avoiding foods which cause it. There are a lot of websites where you can do your own research, avoid nightshade foods. Some say Tomatoes and belI peppers are nightshade and some say they are fine? So we will avoid them at the moment. Dairy is off the list at the moment and meat. He is avoiding gluten at the moment, peas, beans, oats and sugar. Ben is eating fish mainly Salmon.( wild is best £££) Processed food are a no no! Plenty of anti inflammatory fruit & veg ETC. Plenty of Garlic, Turmeric and Ginger added to his meals. They are a great anti inflammatory and easily added to meals. I am aware too much fish is bad because of mercury, they reckon small fish like sardines are best because they do not live as long and do not accumulate as much mercury as tuna ETC. I know it is a mine field and hard work but worth it, I hope!? He doesn’t drink or smoke so we don’t need to worry about that.

https://healingautoimmune.com/list-of-nightshades-foods

Top 15 Anti-Inflammatory Foods

There is lots advice out there RE foods to eat and not all may agree with everyone look around and find one best for you! Also some websites have different advice…Good Look
is the new Luck!!!

rachaellouise
9 months ago

@bensdad

If I eat salmon it is only wild caught! Switched 6 months ago and have no other now not even organic . I don’t have organic because they are fed grains , organic grains but still grains
I am following Dr Terry Whals so she does recommend meat. I am on the fence with this but she used to be a vegetarian for 15 years and came out of that because she thought meat was that important . Apparantley if the source is good then it’s not inflammatory . Like for example it has to be from a reputable company , organic but not only this many say grass fed and can use that wording but mostly it’s not true because they grain finish in winter even if organic . So based on getting all that correct it shouldn’t be inflammatory according to dr whals . It’s also weighted towards a lot of coconut milk. I am on the fence with this too!
But what both oms, dr swank and dr whals are agreed upon is that greens are good for you 😊

I will just have a look at that link but you have to be careful with their methods of putting things together so best for your son to get most of it from good produce that is organic . The fewer supplements the better. I take a few key ones now but trying to reduce the number as different companies , processed etc . I believe I have to take vitamin d3 for example in supplement form so try to go with the best brand I can with research etc .

We are all unique so we have to find underlying causes in all of us and that will be differnt for us all.
Diets obviously going to help ms if we can find what works for us.
There ar so many other things though to work on and look into .

Rachael x

rachaellouise
9 months ago

@bensdad – hi can I just ask . How have you worked out that is a good supplement brand and works etc and how long have you been taking this ?

bensdad
9 months ago

Hi Rachel, I agree with all you are saying RE diet, organic is best. I’m on the fence about meat at the moment (RE Ben) and I think Ben will stick to fish. I think it is about finding out what is best for you and it is hard to mix and match and at the same time find out what works, but I believe the oils, fish provide are the best bet at the moment? I don’t stick to any brands when it comes to supplements but I believe Activo and Lindens are good, I have used both and will sometimes use Holland and Barrett, only on a need to basis. I have been using Supplements for years but I have changed suppliers over the years. Not everyone sells the stuff you need. I only discovered Activo a couple of months ago, but I believe their probiotics are the best I have come across. If I find a better one, I will try that. I suppose we are always learning. The links are only a point in the right direction, not gospel, we all come to our own conclusion. I am still learning, I really got into the diet thing about 30 years ago but had a much deeper look about 10 years ago when my partner had headaches 24/7, that was when I got into the inflammation and foods allergy ETC a lot more deeper. I am still learning along with you but if someone else looks at our conversations along the way, it may help them also? We have four choices nutrition, drugs, both or nothing! I have been trying to build Ben up and I think the best way is good food and supplements. I think it is so hard to get all you need from food now a days we need to supplement. I may be wrong but I can see the difference in my health since taking supplements. I never get a cold? I understand you want to cut back on supplements, I may over do it, over the years I have added more and the more I read the more I add…LOL..Stop reading may be the answer! Greens are great we can agree on that one. I always say we have to eat, so we may as well eat healthy! I have always ate meat, fish, love my veg and I love cooking…lucky me… X

bensdad
9 months ago

Ps … I can’t Spell and I got your name wrong … Sorry!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.