angelbum 15/03/15
Last reply 2 years ago
Lyrica or Gabapentin

I’m really struggling daily with back neck leg pain especially worse during night and morning and giving me a particularly unrestful nights sleep .

What would you recommend ?

I currently I’m on baclofen a low dose it does help slightly but that helps more for my curling wrists spasms .

I do get co -codamol 500/10 but really isn’t helping much

What do you think might help the pain ?

Inverting exercises and different pillows and also a pillow between my legs for support at night . It gets much more intense time of month or during a relapse .

Thanks all

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

3 years ago

Sorry predictive text some of words their whoops !

3 years ago

I’d ask the MS nurse. different drugs fir diff TYPES of pain it seems!

2 years ago

I don’t think either is appropriate for the pain you describe. If over the counter isn’t working then ask your dr. about tramadol. It is a unique drug that addresses nerve pain as well as normal muscular pain. It comes in immediate and timed release tablets. Hope this helps!

2 years ago

Gabapentin and pregabalin are for neuropathic pain. Shooting pains pains which burn or feel hot. They are very similar but gabapentin cheaper for the NHS. Pregabalin seems to be better tolerated. Hope this helps.

2 years ago

PS tramadol is an opiate based analgesia stronger than codeine or co-codamol. Its not specific for nerve pain.

2 years ago

That is exactly right! I also have pain that feels like open wounds and shocks and even numbness that are also neuropathic. I don’t think the back and neck pains described by @angelbum sound like neuropathic pain. They sound more like muscular pain which is also associated with MS. I have both types of pain and learned through trial and error what was best for me. I could actually use something stronger. I have resisted due to fears of addiction that narcotics can cause. Tramadol is hotly debated as a pseudo narcotic, but I have been able to take it or leave it as needed. It is unique because it has features that can be effective for both types of pain. I use the immediate release form as the timed release had SEs that I did not care for. Whatever form you decide on, start at the minimum dose to avoid SEs. Also, pregabalin may be effective for some nerve pain that gabapentin does not help and vice versa. I also found that out through trial and error. These drugs should also be started at minimum doses. I am sensitive to most drugs and almost always ask to start at half recommended doses. I found pregabalin very difficult to start. I read and talked to others that had similar experiences and the consensus was that you had to endure the first several days of SEs to see benefits from the drug. I hated it but was desperate for more nerve pain relief. It took me 4 different attempts to finally adapt to it and now it is the single most effective nerve pain medication I take. It does still come with a few SEs but the nerve pain it addesses is intolerable. I found it to be a good trade. It does not come as a generic yet in the US however does in many countries depending on patent laws. It is very expensive in the nongeneric form so hopefully you get help from your insurer or healthcare program. Remember that both Gabapentin and Pregabalin are different and may address different types of nerve pain. So don’t assume you have to live with nerve pain because you are on one of these drugs. I have taken both drugs together for several years now. I hope something here helps someone. It took time and suffering to learn. The neuro cooperated and gave me what I asked to try. He verified that it was safe. MS pain requires a lot of trial and error for some patients. Be relentless in looking for help!

2 years ago

Any research at all will reveal it’s usefulness for both muscular (which angelbum described) to nerve pain (which angelbum did not describe).

Tramadol is sometimes referred to as a “centrally-acting opioid analgesic” and pseudo-opioid. For the first instance, the drug works within the central nervous system, producing effects very similar to morphine for pain relief. For the second term, Tramadol works somewhat at the mu-opioid receptor, which is the main receptor that that other opioids such as morphine bind to.

One of the key features of Tramadol is its antidepressant properties. Many people are unaware that certain antidepressants work effectively toward calming and preventing pain by reducing reuptake of two chemicals in the brain called serotonin and norepinephrine. In addition, Tramadol produces anti-inflammatory actions and is considered as a mild form of norepinephrine, which is a chemical capable of transmitting nerve impulses between the body’s different nerve cells.

After years of development and multiple trials, Tramadol now has approval by the Food and Drug Administration or FDA as a treatment for pain that ranges from moderate to moderately severe, whether chronic or acute. In addition, while not the primary reason for taking Tramadol, it has also been successfully used for mild cases of depression.

Keep in mind that Tramadol is not a controlled substance like many other medications prescribed for pain today to include Demerol, oxycodone, morphine, methadone, and hydrocodone. That means in the United States, it is not under control of the Federal government.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.