Last reply 3 years ago
lumbar puncture troubles

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience, I had a lumbar puncture on Tues and this is day 5 and I still have a headache. My neuro says its normal and to wait 7 days and see if I need a blood patch. My body hurt the first day and I was very nauseous. Now my body is much better and I am not nauseated anymore, I can eat and my back is not sore anymore, the neck ache went away but the headache is annoying! I am drinking lots of water and trying to stay on my back but I am getting tired of laying around.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

aussiekylie
3 years ago

I had no problems at all with mine (apart from mild nausea) but I have read on other posts here that people were advised to drink caffeine. Maybe give that a go and see if anything improves. Hope you feel better soon

stumbler
3 years ago

Yes, I’ve heard stories that caffeine helps too. Try drinking a cola – not a lo-cal or sugar-free version, the real mcCoy! 😉

tabbycat
3 years ago

I was in absolute agony for days, literally crawling around on all fours as I could not elevate my head.i had to lie flat completely and then four days later I realized I coul lift my head to drink a cup of tea and from that point it got slowly better and within a week I was normal. Do not push it,or you will make it worse. Keep in touch with your doctor and be patient.
It totally freaked me out because it felt like I had become a cripple over night. It will pass and the symptoms have nothing at all to do with MS, you just are a little unlucky in taking time to get your spinal fluid up to normal pressure. Good luck!

rose54
3 years ago

Well my lumbar puncture came back negative, is this normal in a few MS people? I went through all of this for what? Ugh. I am somewhat better today, but still if I walk around I have pressure in my head, the excrusiating pain no longer, but still a nagging head and neck ache. Nausea is gone. I have numb spots on my shoulders, neck and legs, don’t know if this is MS or a result of the LP.

stumbler
3 years ago

rose54
3 years ago

Thanks Stumbler, good article, I will look into this. Less atrophy is a good thing!

druid
3 years ago

I also had clear results, i also had a headache for 5 days. Diagnosed as benign rrms.

rose54
3 years ago

Today is day 8 and I woke up with a headache but it is gone now. I had nausea all yesterday and today, but now I am feeling more energy, I actually was able to sit up without a headache for several hours. I hope this means I am done with this. But now because I have been up walking around a bit, my tremors started in. Sorry, had to vent.

stumbler
3 years ago

@rose54 , your body has suffered a wee bit of trauma and you are recovering from it. Just go a bit easy on yourself and cautiously return to your life as your body recovers.

It’s not a race….. 😉

aussiekylie
3 years ago

@rose54 I agree with @stumbler your body still needs to recover. Even though I had no problems with my lumbar puncture (apart from mild nausea for a few days) it did take a couple of weeks before I felt 100%, I was just tired for a couple of weeks after. Listen to your body and REST. :))

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.