Last reply 1 month ago
Lumbar puncture

Hi MSers
Just wondering has anyone been diagnosed with ms by MRI only and no lumber puncture. While i officially havent been diagnosed with ms, i have only had mri’s which all say my lesions are consitant with ms.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mhworden
2 months ago

Me. At time of diagnosis i passed on the lumbar puncture as it was concluded it couldn’t be anything other than MS. 8 years later due to other reasons I had a lumbar puncture which confirmed the original diagnosis.

mhworden
2 months ago

I should have added this was in addition to physical symptoms and abnormal reflex tests.

brando
2 months ago

I would say it assists with diagnosis but it isn’t necessary.

I had one after I was diagnosed and it was used for research purposes apparently.

all the best

Brando

gypsyrose
2 months ago

Hi @brando thanks for your reply.

mmhhpp
2 months ago

Me
Diagnosed in 2010 mri only
Lumber puncture 2018 confirms ms

stumbler
2 months ago

@gypsyrose , a diagnosis of MS has to meet the “McDonald Criteria”, https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/mcdonald-criteria .

This means that a Lumber Puncture is only really required when the MRI results and clinical history are inconclusive for a definite diagnosis.

mmhhpp
2 months ago

peterfrancis
2 months ago

I had an mri followed by a lumbar puncture and a second mri with contrast to give a full diagnosis.

hels
2 months ago

@gysyrose I was disgnosed on MRI and symptoms only. 2 yrs later I had a lumber puncture when I moved house and fell under a new health board. My new consultant said lumber puntures will be used more and more to help monitor the MS. They get alot of information from the fluid they wouldn’t get from an MRI. They expect to see things in there that cross the blood brain barrier that shouldn’t. I.e the cells which attack the myelin.

I was really nervous about having it done but hand on heart it really wasn’t anything to worry about xx

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

@gypsyrose

MRI & lumbar puncture confirmed my MS. Confirmed what – I have absolutely no idea.

The medical profession has done absolutely nothing for me throughout my life – their plans are to let me go away & die – so long as they get their paychecks holding appointments with me.

This is not to detract from your personal situation. My post is to highlight you should live your life. Finding happiness where you can; getting a paycheck based upon your personal health situation.

Enjoying your life – we only live once… 😉

vixen
2 months ago

Hi, I had both but really only to separate the possibility of recurrence of another condition. Anyways, MS was the outcome. Boo….!

gypsyrose
2 months ago

Thanks guys for your replies, i wasnt sure what the norm is for diagnosis, yes @edmonton yes we have only one life, and im do my best everyday to continue being myself and not to pay to much attention to every little ache pain etc.cause it can be very easy to let it distract you.

gypsyrose
2 months ago

Thanks @stumbler for thelink very helpful😊

mamawals
1 month ago

Yes. I was diagnosed based on four different episodes of different symptoms and an MRI that showed numerous old and new lesions in various parts of the brain. Also the typical low vitamin D and lots of blood tests ruling out other causes. I personally would not consent to a lumbar puncture. I’ve had an epidural, so somewhat similar and not really painful but I do believe you always risk side effects when you do those kinds of procedures. To me, the risk doesn’t seem worth the little information they gather from the lumbar puncture and I’m not a guinea pig here to satisfy someone’s curiosity.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.