mmhhpp 03/01/18
Last reply 2 months ago
Lumbar puncture

Brief message to say that if any of you is expecting a lumbar puncture to say i had mine done and it didn’t hurt at all and no secondary effects yet!πŸ˜›

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

vixen
3 months ago

Hi there! Did you have it today? If so, please please do me a favour and make sure you lay flat and rest for a few days while your body recalibrates. I felt fine for 36 hours and went about my business as usual, including work. Because I didn’t rest at all I ended up with the worst headache which could have been avoided if I took notice of the advice I was given x

tog2-0
3 months ago

ok so I know I’m odd but I liked my lumber puncture, it actually got rid of my constant low-level headache because it relieved the fluid pressure, as for the needle bit if you can relax into it, yes it’s uncomfortable but not serious pain or bruising.

mmhhpp
3 months ago

Thanks @vixen for the advice
It was done yesterday and today I woke up with a little headache that I can’t bear hopefully it stays like that all day .

chezy17
3 months ago

When I had mine it really hurt but I had a trainee doctor doing it. Felt fine the day after so I carried on doing things, how wrong was I! I felt awful for about 10 days so I wish I’d of rested, I have low blood pressure so I don’t think it helped.
I’d definately rest up for a few days 😊.

vixen
3 months ago

@chezy17, same. There is a good message here for anyone due a LP; it is your right to request the procedure from a senior doctor with experience. When I had my anaesthetic jabber the LP, the chipper young doctor doing mine toddled off whilst it was going numb. My husband said β€˜She’s probably just nipped off to do her A Levels’! Oh how that made me laugh at the time !

chezy17
3 months ago

@vixen Tell me about it chick, everytime he tried to do it, it hurt more and it took what felt like forever, to actually do the LP!! Hopefully, that’s the only one I’ll ever need πŸ™ˆ!

tog2-0
3 months ago

@vixen A’levels πŸ˜€

mine was done by a very experienced nurse, pretty sure all she did was lumber punctures,
I was trying to avoid uses the phrase – she was old, (fail) but she was old & knew exactly what she was doing.

vixen
3 months ago

Haha, maybe that should be the new criteria for people able to adminster Lumbar Punctures – β€˜must be on the electoral role and able to vote!’ πŸ™‚

chezy17
3 months ago

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

tog2-0
3 months ago

& completed their A’levels

dekkor
3 months ago

@mmhhpp, I appreciate you posting this. Thanks to you, I went into my LP procedure today with less anxiety and it went well. Only a little tenderness. I’ll be following all your advice of taking it easy and laying low for the next little while.

edmontonalberta
3 months ago

@dekkor

Happy things went well for you!

wink
2 months ago

I remember having my lumbar puncture many years ago I was in sheer terror after the stories id been told about it but to be honest I poured with sweat for nothing I hardly felt a thing the worst bit was laying flat for 24 hours and having to try and use a bed pan lying down lol

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.