Last reply 11 hours ago
Losing a pet (Friend)

I had a pity party last night & cried myself to sleep. Usually, I will wake up & be back to my usual self. Not today. I’m still torn up over my pet sugar glider. I got Fes 11/8/09. I traveled a lot with work, so I got Macy 11/20/10 so he wouldn’t be alone when I was away. I found out this year that Macy is diabetic & has cataracts but Fes was very healthy. I had worried about how he would do when Macy passed away but now he is gone. He had somehow opened their cage Sunday night while I was gone. While I was unloading my car Sunday, I saw him on my steps but by the time I sat down everything that I had in my arms, he was gone. I haven’t seen him since. One night, Macy was in her cage barking & she has been lethargic since then. I’ve spent time with her every evening this week. But she’s been pretty inactive. I try not to cry when I’m with her, but I’m sure she can sense my sadness. Fes has been through so much with me; he was my little man. And now I can’t even find his little body to give me a clue as to where he is & if he’s dead or needing me to find him. Last night, I sat on my porch with the porch light off talking to myself in case he was out there & could hear me. This is killing me.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

vixen
6 days ago

@sherryak, loss is loss and is the worst, worst feeling. I’m really sorry this has happened. Your pets are lucky that you are their owner and values them so highly, nothing changes that x

stumbler
6 days ago

@sherryak , I can understand your grief. A pet is not just a pet, they are a member of your family.

My fingers will be crossed for a happy ending.

shona12
6 days ago

@sherryak
((Hugs)) I hope Fes comes home soon.
Pets are family and my dogs get and always will get more love than the hubby (as they give me more!! :-P)
fingers crossed
x

sherryak
12 hours ago

I had a pity party Sunday night (8/5) & cried myself to sleep. Usually, I will wake up & be back to my usual self. Not that time. I was still torn up over my pet sugar glider. I got Fes 11/8/09. I traveled a lot with work, so I got Macy 11/20/10 so he wouldn’t be alone when I was away. I found out this year that Macy is diabetic & has cataracts but Fes was very healthy. I had worried about how he would do when Macy passed away but then I thought he had ran away that Sunday night. He had somehow opened their cage while I was gone. While I was unloading my car Sunday night, I saw what I thought was him on my steps but by the time I sat down everything that I had in my arms, he was gone. I hadn’t seen him since. One night, what I thought was Macy was in her cage barking & she had been lethargic since then. I spent every evening that week with my remaining sugar glider, which was being pretty inactive. I tried not to cry when I was with my little glider, but I’m sure my sadness could be sensed anyway. Fes has been through so much with me; I always thought of him as my little man. I couldn’t even find my escaped glider’s little body to give me a clue as to where he/she was & if dead or needing me to find it. That Thursday night, I sat on my porch with the porch light off talking to myself in case my little glider was out there & could hear me. The whole situation was killing me.

That very next week, after I spent Monday evening with my remaining glider, I was left wondering if it was Macy that ran away & Fes was still with me. I didn’t see cataracts on the eyes when I took it out after getting home from work. And I had been thinking that the hind legs seemed to be doing better. Then there was a nip on my pinky when I got the glider out & when I put back. I was concerned that I was just being hopeful & imagining it, but it sure seemed like I had Fes & it was Macy that had disappeared. I had thought it was Fes because Macy has so many health issues & she didn’t escape (in the past) when her flight path was free & clear. Also, with her health issues (like the cataracts), if she was the one that had escaped, she could only have done it with help from Fes.

After several days, what I think happened with my gliders… When a glider in the colony (even a colony of 2) is ill, the others kick it out. (Which I just read about online last weekend.) I just knew it was Fes that had escaped because Macy would never have been able to open the cage door. I think Fes opened the cage door to let Macy out (like assisted suicide). He didn’t run too (like he normally would have done) because I think he felt bad about Macy having to leave. But those are just my thoughts on what I think happened that Sunday.

I have made it a few days now without crying. Fes is still pretty inactive, but he has been eating his food. We’re improving. Slowly.

tracyd
12 hours ago

Pets in our house are our babies, our children.
Losing one leaves a massive hole in our lives and the lives of our other babies who don’t understand why we took one away and they never returned.
Love and snuggles for them and each other and talking about it is all I can recommend.

(well that and get a permanent reminder – I get a tattoo after each loss footprints for pets and more balloons to the bunch held by my elephant who never forgets for the people)

grandma
11 hours ago

Oh Sherryak I really feel for you. My dogs are my life, I gave a 10 yr old, and a pup of 2 years, we had the pup a couple of years ago because we knew we were going to lose the old chap at about 12-13 years and we didn’t want to ever be without a dog, 6 mths after we had the pup, he left, so I have been bringing her up myself, which her even more precious as she will be the last dog I have as the beast is getting worse on a monthly basis. You did all you could, you loved them, fed them, did everything you could. Just grieve, take as long as it takes, things will get better slowly.😪

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.