Last reply 5 years ago
Local resources?

Today I went to the MS-UK Centre of excellence… (MS-UK used to be called the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre or MSRC) and had an induction at their “Wellness Studio”… I had a go on some of their equipment. have a look at what they’ve got here:

(also… the rest of their website and publications are worth a noey if you haven’t seen then before)

I wanted to have a try on the FES (functional electrical stimulation) machine… but by the time I’d tried the vibrating do-dah and the Thera-vital machine i was exhausted and a bit shaky…. so wasn’t up to it.

the FES is apparently the only one being used for people with MS in the UK and although it’s in Colchester in Essex… MS-UK are encouraging people from all over to come and give it a try.

one guy who I spoke to who has been using it for a few months said he was now confident to walk up steps and stairs unaided… when before exercising and using the FES he more often than not tripped up, stumbled and dragged his feet up steps and fell up stairs regularly.

Interesting stuff….

They also hold a yoga class on a Monday night… which i’m going to go along to and join in with.

They also have a qualified counsellor and a nice little treatment room too….

Prior to this the only thing I’d found locally was cups of tea and sticky bun coffee mornings since the young MS group Disappeared… and I’m really glad I dropped in.

Although MS-UK has a national reach, it has a grass roots Colchester base and centre… I’ve realised I’m very fortunate to have something like this on my doorstep … it would be interesting to know what else is out there and how people tap into their local resources? if your lucky enough to have anything near you?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

5 years ago

i noticed on their website that they have an officer offering advice on benefits. might be handy for anyone affected by the bedroom tax

5 years ago

My experience of the ‘bedroom tax’ (I’m an advocate and family carer advisor) is that if someone NEEDS (for support workers/carers or a space for a spouse/partner to get some sleep/respite) a spare room and that need can be evidenced… maybe with a supporting letter from the local authority (a social worker) or a voluntary organisation (local MS society/local disabled people’s advocacy organisation) or health professional (G.P/MS Nurse etc…) then the relevant local council should be able to sort it out so that the individual will be exempt from the extra charge.

Central government has given each council extra funds to be able to do this…. however they will not make it easy… and It will be easier if you get support from elsewhere.

The welfare rights advisor for MS-UK should be able to help with some advise and guidance about this and other issues.

If we’ve had training on it… then they certainly will! they have a national reach… and i would expect that they’re trained up to the nines…

5 years ago

WELL, if the local gym looked like this, I’d be down there in a flash!

5 years ago

Similar place I know of is ASPIRE rehab centre.. It has a good pool (very warm) and a gym (never seen it..)

Aspire is also a bit ‘out of town in Stanmore Middlesex..

Join to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.