Last reply 5 days ago
Limb discoloration and temperature issue

Hi all,

I’m trying to see how many of us might be dealing with this issue.

For the last year and a half, my right lower leg (calf, shin and foot) has been regularly discolored and almost always cold, no matter what the ambient temperatures might be.

My GP sent me to a vascular doctor who checked my blood flow and looked for blockages, but was told that my veins looked excellent and my blood flow was strong, so the weirdness wasn’t due to heart or vein issues. He suggested that it might be due to vein spasms.

My GP accepted this answer and suggested compression socks or compression sleeves to see if that helped with the discoloration and coldness.

My neurologist, however, has mentioned that this is very common in MSers, but none of the people I know currently with MS have ever experienced this symptom. She said that it’s nothing to be concerned about.

Do any of you have a similar symptom or have you experienced this in the past? My neurologist said that a this point, because it’s been a constant daily symptom that it’s highly unlikely to correct itself from here on out.

Thank you!!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

calliems2002
1 week ago

@getoutdoors1 this is something I can relate to…I have purple legs and always have since diagnosed 17 years ago. The colder I am the more eggplant I turn…a quick hot bath resets my skin I swear I look like a funky hypercolor tee-shirt (they were cool back in the 90’s lol). Over the years it has been welcomed by my arms, hands and feet too. My hands look like I have been in a really good fist fight…I look bad ass and no one messes with me 😋

getoutdoors1
1 week ago

@callims2002 That’s exactly what happens with me too! I notice that if I take a really hot shower, my leg looks better, but then I have to deal with the repercussions that really hot shower has on my other symptoms.
I remember hypercolor t-shirts… 🙂

Have you noticed that scrapes or injuries seem to take forever to heal in those limbs too? Any injury to my lower right leg takes what seems like months sometimes to heal.

calliems2002
1 week ago

@getoutdoors1 I honestly haven’t paid attention if healing was an issue but I haven’t experienced severe enough wounds I guess…i bruise very easily tho and I never have a clue how I did it 😊
My feet and hands are frozen all the time…my feet are worse…they seem to never warm up…the colder I am the more purple I turn!
I’m going to mention it at my next appointment as it is progressively worse the last 3 years…just curious what my doctor will say.
Since we have purple legs we must be soul MSers…message me maybe we have more in common ☺

laurianne25
1 week ago

@getoutdoors1, I had an issue similar to this that happened when my first symptoms came about in December 2018. On top of my legs, feet and stomach being numb, I also had a cold and blue left foot. Once my numbness had spread to my feet and I couldn’t feel the pedals to drive, I went to the Hospital because my PCP wasnt giving me an answer that explained everything. As part of my exam they gave me a doppler study on my legs in case it was a vein issue. It wasnt, so they just concluded it was my Raynaud’s acting up again. But my feet take turns being real hot and real cold.

laurianne25
1 week ago

Not saying that’s what yours is, necessarily, only a doctor will know.

getoutdoors1
6 days ago

@larianne25 I also have limb numbness- all four limbs, unfortunately. I’m seeing my PCP today, so I’m going to ask her what she might think is going on.

getoutdoors1
6 days ago

@calliems2002 – We must be! I’ll message you later- I’m off to see my PCP this morning to see what she can do to help me with my current major issue- another bout of vertigo… 🙁

calliems2002
5 days ago

@getoutdoors1 I’m not sure if any part of my body isn’t numb lol…vertigo is another friend of mine…message me for sure to let me know how you make out !

nutshell88
5 days ago

Hi
Im white skined thr year i was daignosed all my friends kept saying you are not white any more my color was close as ive just ate mango and didnt wash my mouth

The heat effects me and its 50 c here
Still felt cold in my fingers and toes
After i stayed in the uk for few years it was like a therapy
Becausr i was born in saudi the heat of saudi was too much for me at times

Even last night it was 🌚

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.