Last reply 8 months ago
Lemtrada vs cladribine

Hey guys
I’m new to this website. My neroligist told me about it. It’s come in pretty handy.

So after 7 relapses in less than 2 years, and significant changes on latest Mri I have been advised to look at my next treatment. Which is lemtrada or cladribine?? Any thoughts would be useful, I know we’re all different in this crazy rollercoaster world of ms, but I’ve been hurting my brain looking it up. So would make sense to ask some of my fellow ms warriors x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
9 months ago

@marlo1982 , I’ve no personal experience of either treatment, but here’s a piece from the respected guys at Barts, which may help:-

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/2016/12/genzymespeak-derisking-alemetuzumab-is.html

londonlad
9 months ago

@marlo1982
interested to know what you currently take?

omega-female
8 months ago

Hi @marlo1982, I hope you managed to make a decision! I’m in the same position as you, been on tecfidera just over two years and thought it was working fine until I had a relapse last autumn. And then I learnt that increased lhermittes is a sign of relapse and realised I’ve been relapsing ALL THE TIME. So in stuck between thinking I need to throw everything at the ms so should go on lemtrada and then getting scared about the risks and wanting to go for cladribine.

aabreu
8 months ago

At least we have choices today.
If it were available to me, I’d go with cladribine. Lemtrada Is interesting too but seems to have more side effects.

rambles
8 months ago

Hi @marlo1982. Have you got any further with your decision? I am in much the same position. Tecfidera hasn’t worked and now need to try something else. I’ve found it harder to find/read experiences of Cladribine, as it is still quite new. That has made me more inclined to try Lemtrada if possible. Also the neurologist has told me they haven’t had experience of treating with Cladribine yet whereas they start people on Lemtrada regularly. But then Cladribine looks effective too from all the literature and possibly has fewer side effects. Overall, I am still undecided (as you can tell) ☺! My brain hurting looking it all up too …

omega-female
8 months ago

Hi @rambles too! It’s such a hard decision, isn’t it? My neurologist said he’d recommend cladribine over gilenya but said lemtrada changes your immune system forever… The MS nurse just said I need to decide how much risk I’m willing to take.

I’d already been considering asking for lemtrada as I hadn’t felt that great on tecfidera, I hadn’t heard about cladribine.

I know the Bart’s team are really enthusiastic about cladribine but from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem any more effective than tecfidera and I really feel like I’m running out of time before I lose my walking completely.

I guess we are lucky to have choices, but I just want someone to tell me what to do!

rambles
8 months ago

Hi @omega-female. It sounds like we are pretty much in the same ‘place’ with the same dilemma! I too just wish somebody could tell me what to do! From what I can make out Cladribine is probably not as effective as Lemtrada overall but the thing is, each drug will work differently on each person …

Hoping you are gradually managing to beat a path through it all ☺…There is so much to consider but as you say, it is good to have choices … if a bit overwhelming.

arknat
8 months ago

I had my scheduled Neuro appointment yesterday here in the US.

I’m currently stable on Gilenya. His views on Cladribine – he said he’d put me on Cladribine in a heartbeat . He is not a strong advocate for Lemtrada (for me). He does have quite a few patients who are/were on Lemtrada. He is optimistic about Cladribine getting approved in near future by the FDA. We’ll see how that goes ….

edgarleroy
8 months ago

Cladribine is easier by far.

mmhhpp
8 months ago

@marlo1982

My personal opinion is cladribine, i was on gilenya and that didn’t stop going to spms (it may have stopped relapses). Spms in my case is not nice at all i was better with rrms .spms is a beast you dont want additional trouble caused my your DMD it is HARD already. If cladribine stops relapses is a no brainer if it gives you less secondary effects

It is a gamble you need to take

tracyd
8 months ago

@marlo1982
I’ve only ever had 1 type of treatment since I was diagnosed in 2014
I had both rounds of Lemtrada and have been no evidence disease activity since. It was quick, simple and problem free. I’ve talked to my neurologist about what I would do if I ever relapsed again, Cladribine would be probably my next choice if I couldn’t have another round of Lem.

Probably not much help, but if you want a ‘lemmie’ to talk to you have a friend request and I’m happy to share contact details by PM xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.