Last reply 8 months ago
Lemtrada diet

So I finished lemtrada just over 2 weeks ago, I’ve been watching what I’m eating and been being careful however I’ve had the odd ice creams and I’ve regularly been drink smoothies and having McDonald’s. Is this okay or would it cause me problems with the listeria diet ?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

holly12345
8 months ago

@shelbates
Hi
I had lemtrada 2015/2016 and didn’t really change my diet a huge amount, of course I was told to stay away from deli foods. But a bit of everything won’t hurt. My symptoms improved after lemtrada and now the same but no worse 😆
Keep well
Rebecca

easycleanpress
8 months ago

I was really strict at first but I’m about two months post round one and I’ve relaxed my diet. I’m eatinng at restaurants and M&S prepared salads again obviously I wouldn’t eat street food abroad, items past their sell by date, unwashed fruit and veg or anything with a high risk of food poisoning!

imbarca
8 months ago

@shelbates I was very careful and kept strictly to the diet until my lymphocytes came back to the normal range. At my treatment centre, a young woman very sadly died from lysterial meningitis due to Lemtrada in between my rd1 and rd2. As I’m sure you understand, this spooked all the staff and patients into being ultra cautious.

With regard to your specific questions, it’s raw and poorly cooked foods that are the main danger. So McDonald’s should be fine if you don’t have salad (cheeseburger ok, big Mac not ok). Ice-cream is fine apparently unless it’s ‘soft serve’ which I reckon is that Mr Whippy stuff in ice-cream vans. A quick Google of smoothies and listeria shows a couple of product recalls so I would avoid these. If you can be bothered you could make them at home so long as you stick to stuff you can peel.

I know it’s a pain but it’s only for 6-months and it’s really, really not worth the risk.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.