funnybank 12/05/12
Last reply 6 years ago
legal query re signature

anyone had to sign someone up as a signatory with the bank, my hands have gone. i’d been putting this off and now i can’t hold a pen

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

meg
6 years ago

Make sure they are made an authorised signatory and not a joint account holder so that it’s clear it’s still your money and you can cancel the authority if things don’t work out. A cross will do instead of a signature if you can’t sign, although the bank arelikely to want id and to witness your ‘mark’ for your and their protection. If you can’t manage a cross, some-one else can sign for you ‘at your direction’.
You should consider a lasting power of attorney (LPA)which would allow your chosen signers, your attorneys, to sign anything apart from a will that you needed to sign. Their authority would last even if you lost mental capacity, whether temporily or for good. They would have to consult you if at all possible and to act always in your best interests. There’s more info about LPAs on officeofthepublicguardian.co.uk or I can send you a factsheet if you contact me direct

reddivine
6 years ago

We had to set up a similar thing for my mom, who is/was housebound. A relative is now “authorised signatory” for her bank account.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.