Last reply 3 years ago
Leg cramps

I read somewhere that leg pain and cramps are a later symptom or suggestive of progressive Ms? Is this correct?
I started having just a tight calf then tight all over, now when I sit down my hamstring cramps up like a charley horse for a few seconds, I’ve only been having symptoms since December and had so many im concerned how quick this is all developing.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

wilf
3 years ago

I think it’s a regular everyday symptom that comes and goes, just to remind us it’s still there.
I know it’s hard, especially while waiting for diagnosis, but try not to worry about individual symptoms or the MS type. MS flare ups can take a long time to reduce and even in ‘remission’ the symptoms are still there. Worrying just makes it worse.
Sending calming thoughts x

krisp
3 years ago

Hi @wilf
Thanks for the info, I think it’s just because of how much has come on and how it doesn’t seem to follow a relapsing remitting course as yet.
I’ve had a bad sinus infection for the past 10 days of so though so I wonder whether that’s to blame?

It’s been the worry of it affecting legs and arms already that’s scared me

krisp
3 years ago

Has anyone else hear had mild spasticity early on and are still ok?
I read that motor symptoms early on are bad news! Often a sign of progressive issues? Being that PPMS is my biggest concern you can guess how this has made me feel!

Anonymous
3 years ago

Hi @krisp

I don’t believe leg pain and cramp are an indicator of progressive MS. It could be a symptom, it could be brought on by your bug or it could be unrelated. You’re probably (and understandably) also on high alert right now to anything going on with your body.

MS is so unpredictable but I have read like you motor symptoms aren’t good news. My first and only attack to date was brainstem related and again I’ve read that’s not good news either! My neuro disagrees. If its any comfort to you despite my attack totally flooring me at the time (I had all sorts of nasty symptoms including motor and they came thick and fast) I made a full recovery and more than two years on have not had any new or old symptoms. This may change but there is no way of knowing or really predicting the course from what I can tell and I’ve read all that I can find!

I know its really hard Krisp. I went to hell and back and back again with it all. Remind me where you are with your diagnosis?

krisp
3 years ago

Hi thanks @sandwich
I’ve tried being the big man etc but broke down a bit earlier with the it’s not fair I’m a good guy thing going on, which is not me, I’m the guy everyone comes to, so it’s a bit hard rigt now, that and Ive read so much on prognosis etc.

Diagnosis-wise I had a cervical spine mri looking for a nerve issue which was clear in jan, then a brain mri in feb which was also clear. Seen neuro twice and had two normal neuro exams.
He’s private so I can see him whenever, I’ve emailed him tonight to see again soon.

Symptome wise it’s lhermittes that’s almost remitted, then hand tingling that went but is back since this flu, feet burning, leg cramps and weak arms. It’s the ammount that’s come on over 3 months that’s worried me.

Anonymous
3 years ago

@krisp

Your clear MRI and normal neuro exam is fantastic news! Honestly. I know the not knowing is not giving you any comfort right now but your normal results can only be positive.

If it is MS and it seems a very big if given your test results, I’ve read sensory symptoms at onset are often associated with a milder disease course.

krisp
3 years ago

Hi @sandwich
Yeah I thhkught it would be Great news too, the only thing that worries me is that the progressive type has less lesions, and I read the same about sensory, it’s just the motor bits with the legs that worry me.

Thankyou so much for answering though, I know you guys are all going through your own things and to take time to answer and help really means a lot, it genuinely does

krisp
3 years ago

@sandwich sorry to be a nuisance how long did that last? Mine seemed to be lessening and its kicked off again since this flu, the leg cramps today are terrible plus the tingles and arm crap

Anonymous
3 years ago

Hi @krisp, You’re not being a nuisance at all. My symptoms lasted about 6 weeks but peaked for around a fortnight. I had a very clear CIS as in an emergency MRI showed lesions consistent with MS plus positive lumber puncture. My neurological exam at that time was anything but normal.

While I have heard too that progressive MS does tend to have less lesions I would imagine a neuro exam would show up abnormalities of some sort. I’m not medically trained of course and can only share my own experiences. I don’t have any symptoms and feel 100% normal but even now I still have abnormalities evident to my neuro. I have joined the EDSS 🙁

I’d share your concerns and presenting / worsening symptoms with your neuro, and in the meantime hold on to the fact all your tests have come back normal.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.