wildthing 14/01/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Leaving work :(

I’m approaching the point where I won’t be able to work like I am now and I’m wondering about my options… (I’m a teacher)
I’m struggling with the physical nature of teaching (v supportive school) and wonder if they ‘have to’ offer me something else?
When I do have to stop will I get a ‘package’ (money?)
Could someone point me in the direction of a simple description of what happens next?
I’m trying to get hold of my union rep & occ health but it’s taking ages…
Thanks in advance…

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@wildthing , your union will be best placed to let you know what options are available.

The Equalities Act 2010 just stipulates that employers should make reasonable adjustments to allow you to continue working, but we all know that you cannot physically do some jobs when MS takes hold.

If the union continues to be difficult to contact, consider the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Also consider the Access to Work scheme (https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview) if this would finance an option which would allow you to continue.

wildthing
3 years ago

Thank you- yes of course the CAB! I’ve contacted access to work & work are moking adjustments (wheelchair!) which helps a lot.
I feel like I have maybe a year left in me then part time or change job (although I feel very de-skilled from teaching for a decade!)
Thanks again.

cameron
3 years ago

I worked f/t in teaching for five years after I was diagnosed and was lucky enough to be offered voluntary redundancy at that point. That way I didn’t lose any pension. I’m told it’s pretty hard to get ill-health retirement these days. A better option might be to see if there are any office-based opportunities within your school or something maybe within special needs. I found it was the physical getting round the site that was defeating me – not the teaching as such. Controlling the environment is the challenge.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.