chloeautumnx 14/05/15
Last reply 2 years ago
Learning to walk again…

Hello lovely guys and girls! I hope you are all doing well on your MS journeys.
Well, as many of you know (poor @stumbler knows me too well as I ask his advice on everything!), I was diagnosed with MS in Jan 2015. To start with it was OK. I had my issues and dealt well with them and although it was a shock to the system, I coped well with the diagnosis, probably a little too well.
As time went on, I kept getting relapses, particularly where my walking was concerned. Where I once walked unaided, I had to start using a walking stick occasionally. I still coped well with this fact and embraced it. I was also pleased with myself that I had escaped the dreaded steroid treatment (albeit by the skin of my teeth)! Life with MS wasn’t so bad. However, just as I start to get comfortable with the condition and adapt my life accordingly, MS slaps me in the face with a wet fish (cheers for that)!
My mobility deteriorated as I developed severe clonus where my leg muscles are in a state of constant twitching. Weekly visits to the neuro physio determined that I was now on double crutches as oppose to one stick. Ok I thought, I can deal with this.
Fast forward 3 weeks and I can honestly say that this relapse has tested me more mentally and physically than anything I have experienced in my life. Due to the clonus, I am unable to walk and therefore I am ‘retaking my first steps’. A high dosage of steroids has not yet shifted it and its having a damaging affect on my ankle, knee and leg as a result.
Upon reflection, I know hand on heart that although I took the diagnosis so well, I was naive and as stubborn as an old mule in not listening to body and I didn’t slow my life down at all. Now I am paying a huge price. I am hoping to go on medication asap (YAY). I’m sorry for the long (possibly boring) story but I wanted to advice all those newly diagnosed individuals that if you learn anything about MS, please make sure that you learn to listen to your body because if you don’t, MS can hold a tight grip and who knows what it might take away from you.
Be happy you lovely bunch 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

2 years ago

I really think it takes a long time to come to terms with having MS. Im still not always sure that I have, and I was diagnosed 3 years ago this September. Some days I’m able to stay positive and accept that this is just my new nomral, and other days I want to yell and scream at the world. I try to just take it all one day at a time, because there is not much else I can do!

I have learned to listen to my body in some ways, I know when I need to take a break when walking, I can (usually) tell when something is really wrong and not just an exacerbation of my symptoms, but I’m still learning. It really is a process. Just give yourself time, and the understanding you would give to someone else in your shoes. We are always harder on ourselves than others!

I wish you all the best, and hope you are able to get back on your feet soon!

2 years ago

I hear you on the stubborn – I think it’s my default position with MS. 😉
Sonia x

2 years ago

MS is a formidable enemy. It’s best to learn to live with it, rather than wage an all out war with it – there’ll only be one winner! 😉

2 years ago

At least you now know you don’t do this on your own! You’re accepting help and getting treatment, which is definitely the way forward – and for all of us, has to be the new normal. And don’t lose hope – symptoms do come and go. Like you, I had to resort to neuro physio to re-learn walking. I soon realised that it’s a PROCESS, not a fix, but the important thing is that you’re going in the right direction. You’ll be ‘unlearning’ the (musculo-skeletal) bad habits that the MS has brought about and you’ll be training the brain to compensate. I was helped, too, by my GP who prescribed anti-depressants for the feelings which were overwhelming me and which I hadn’t realised were typical for my situation. In a nutshell, keep close to your health professionals. Big hugs, xxxx

2 years ago

Yes. I decided to be an MS surfer, just ride the waves. (Problem). With my balance I fell off twice,nearly drown. Lol.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.