northeast19282 22/02/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Learning to run again

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help? Running use to be by thing, I ran regularly and took part in full and half marathons. I had joined a harriers but then had to stop because of needing the toilet and also having bad falls as I wasn’t lifting my legs of the ground enough and would catch them on paving stones. I have run here and there since, as I am not ready to hang up my running shoes yet, but now when I run my legs feel really heavy after a couple of minutes and I am struggling to make progress. I keep myself fit doing other things but I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this and had managed to in a sense learn to run again and had any advice? Thanks

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

tigerdes
3 years ago

Hey there When I was struggling with my balance and leg heaviness I found just turned to other things like swimming. One thing I wished I’d started earlier was pilates just to develop and maintain my core strength.

Running is tough with MS and I’m afraid I just moved onto other pastimes as I never cracked it until my treatment helped me get better. Sorry I can’t be of more help but great to hear you are still active

northeast19282
3 years ago

Hi No, that’s no problem, I appreciate the advice, thanks. I have been thinking I will need to find a new activity. When you say your treatment helped you get better, do you mean a DMD or something else for balance/leg heaviness?

Thanks Catherine

tigerdes
3 years ago

Hi Catherine

I was on the Campath (now Lemtrada trial). It stopped my MS in its tracks and I regained my balance, it addressed my bladder urgency, helped my fatigue and reduced my uhthoffs (when your symptoms flare up when you get hot). I can run again now but it’s still in moderation and I’m nowhere near as good as I used to be. There’s more detail on Lemtrada on here from me and us-Emma 🙂

My main new activity is golf which gets me out walking for a good 4 hours and gives me something to be competitive at. What helped was the fact I’d never played before so I had no frame of reference therefore couldn’t get frustrated with thoughts of I used to be able to…

If as a runner you got your buzz from times and PB’s and you’ve never swum competitively you could look at that. Open water events are getting increasingly popular and there’s also the you against yourself factor 🙂

Hope you get loads of joy from whatever your new activity is

All the best

Tiger

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.