Last reply 3 weeks ago
Ladies! periods? MS symptoms get worse?

ok so I have never been keen on messing with hormones and have always been natural.
since diagnosis I have noticed every month 3-4 days pre menstruation my MS feels like I am relapsing and all my symptoms hit me like a train. takes me ages to get over this!! ruins nearly two weeks out the month.
so I decided to try the coil. solved the MS flare up problem but I am now an emotional wreck all the time.
feel a bit stuck now.
any of you ladies experience similar and how did you manage or stop the flares at time of period.
cheers guys πŸ™‚

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

nutshell88
4 weeks ago

Im not the only one then
Even before i had MS I felt relapse/like signs during that
But for some reason in the past 3 years cramps vanished so were the feeling of MS getting worse
I dont remember i did anything

lauren-lee
4 weeks ago

before diagnosis I was fine with my period and would just get tummy ache but now it’s like I have a relapse every month. not fun. glad I am not the only one.
don’t think I can go back to dealing with this every month haha.

nutshell88
4 weeks ago

I dont get a relapse every month i get it every tear or few tears but i feel like all my relapses are about to attack me excessive weakness in my lips and senses

nutshell88
4 weeks ago

Year or couple of years* lol typing in the dark

stumbler
4 weeks ago

@lauren-lee , I haven’t experienced this problem personally, but it’s caused by the changes in your body temperature as you go through your cycle.

You can blame Mr. Uhthoff, https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/uhthoffs-phenomenon (Well, it had to be a bloke!)

Knowing what causes this may enable you to manage the situation……….

lauren-lee
4 weeks ago

@stumbler
I really wish it was this but I am more inclined to think that the rapid decline in hormones premenstrual has the blame here. my MS nurse didn’t see any connection. need to speak to the Neuro really.
menopausal women also suffer the same once oestrogen and progesterone has decreased.

vivien
4 weeks ago

@lauren-lee I felt like that too, all over the place after 2 lots of steroids and all the other meds last year into June this year when I stopped most of the meds and just take dmt’s now.

As @stumbler said, it’s to do with the rise in body temp and managing it is key. I have cooling towels and a fan at work, and just wear thinner layers of clothing so that it’s easier to regulate my core temp, and I’m finding that works much better than anything else. Hope it helps!

lauren-lee
4 weeks ago

it is not temperature related. temperature rises at ovulation and falls again at menstruation. the time of ovulation is when I feel at my best right up until a few days before mensturation. I believe this to be more hormonal than temperature related.

nutshell88
4 weeks ago

I guess the fact the MS is more common in women is linked with hetting worse during period
Its sometbing to do with the fact we are women so it makes us feel worse

shona12
4 weeks ago

Thought it was only me feeling worse around that time!
and it seems to go on longer also πŸ™

chezy17
4 weeks ago

I also feel tired and tingly just before and after for a few days, I’m sure it’s a hormone thing and I always get a horrible headache and feel floored a day before. It can’t be temperature related because I’m worse with the cold, think it’s more than likely hormones but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one 😊! X

doubleo7hud
4 weeks ago

Can’t say iv ever experienced this but I can get a little cranky once or twice a month

grandma
4 weeks ago

I had the same problem for many years, endless trips to the gp, dismissed all the time ms or not. Went through 2 years of hell when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a few years ago. Was given Tamoxifen just at the same time as nature kicked in and went through 2 years of hell. Eventually told the Oncologist I was stopping the Tamoxifen as it made me so ill. He told me there was lots of alternatives and we should try them first as they stopped the lumps coming back. When I asked why virtually all women were given Tamoxifen, guess what, cost. Good old NHS, never mind what other illnesses the person has. @ chezy17, suffered with head for years but was diagnosed by the Neurologist. On the only occasion I saw him 8 years ago I was talking to the ms nurse who was also present, and mentioned that I had mire problems once a month than I had with the ms! He picked up on it straightaway, said I needed ‘Sumatripan’ or its equivalent. It’s a migraine preparation, but it works because our blood vessels are less dilated when we are menstruating and Sumatripan widens the blood vessels and clears the headache. Have a word with your gp. Good luck.😍

chezy17
4 weeks ago

Trust it to be a man that came up with the crap though πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ!

lauren-lee
3 weeks ago

thank you for all your replies!
I am going to have the coil removed. it helps with the MS symptoms but it is messing with what little mental health I have haha. going to try a different hormonal contraception to try and keep estrogen and progesterone at a more steady level. worth a shot anyway!
good to know I am not alone!

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.