Last reply 4 months ago
ladies! contraception advice?

since being diagnosed I get MS flares 3 days before a period and takes me a week after my period to get back to feeling ok again.
I had the merina coil put in 5 months ago but i can honestly say its not agreeing with me.
I would appreciate some other women’s experiences with any contraceptives they have found work well 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
4 months ago

@lauren-lee , this could be your MS being “aggravated” by your body’s temperature increasing during ovulation……. 😕

Anonymous
4 months ago

If you don’t smoke, I guess the pill would be an option. Personally, I’ve always refused artificial hormones. I just stick to condoms/Femidoms/sponge with spermicide. Not very sexy, but effective. I suggest talking to your gynaecologist.

edmontonalberta
4 months ago

@lauren-lee

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it… If you blink, @stumbler will step forward to answer.

I was waiting to read “other women’s experiences” & still am; curiosity keeps me amused on women’s stuff. “mirena coil” – I learn something new every day… Amazing I hit 62 without ever hearing about this… LOL

grandma
4 months ago

@lauren_lee was dxd 25 yrs ago am 62 Now but obviously when I was dxd was still on the pill. No apparent problems. Stayed on it until nature took over in my early 50’s. Had more problems with ‘the change’ than I did last year when I started Tecfidera. Believe me the flushing with that was nothing compared to what nature throws at you, and 2 years later I got Breast Cancer as well, so between chemotherapy, going bald, etc., we women can put up with anything. Up and at em girl🥊

lauren-lee
4 months ago

@grandma did you find that your MS flares up at all during the pill free week? i am worried about this happening.

grandma
4 months ago

I was on one many years ago and I didn’t have a ‘pill free’ week. Didn’t have any reaction either before or after my pill days. When I was still menstruating had terrible headaches once a month. Had been going to the gp about them for years, they were easily diagnosed by my neurologist when this strange man was sitting in on my meeting with my ms nurse. It turns out he was my new neurologist, not introduced, nothing said. That was 11 years ago, haven’t seen him since. He doesn’t meet mere mortals, too busy writing his latest epistle for the Lacet. I will always be grateful for his dagnosis of the headaches so the last couple of years were great and then nature stepped in. But it didn’t even noticily exacerbate the ms symptoms so my experience has always been ok, and medically things have got even better so modern ‘pills’ should be even better than the one I was on for 30 years, never changed prescription, and was on the same one from when I was 16, which was 1970!🤙😍

chezy17
4 months ago

Aunt flo really does upset how I am, I feel drained and my symptoms do get worse but as for contraception, I’ve always felt worse on it but never knew I had ms then. I used to get headaches and feel crap when I used to take it. I think in general, our periods make MS flare up.

lauren-lee
4 months ago

I know I have always felt worse on contraception I have used even before MS diagnosis but the flares around period time are bloody awful. I feel like the mirena coil has settled some symptoms but increased others. it is very frustrating. I miss my normal hormones haha!

rosiemcgx
4 months ago

Hi @lauren-lee

I have the copper coil at the moment which has beeen amazing for me so far, no hormones at all which is great. My periods are a little bit heavier but other than than I’ve not noticed any change! Before that I was on the depo injections for 6 years and didn’t have a period at all in that time, so that might be something to look into if you feel worse when your period comes! Hope that helps, just message me if you have any more questions x

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.