gerriecogley 05/05/17
Last reply 1 year ago
JUST GOT DIAGNOSED

HEY ALL I GOT DIAGNOSED WITH SECONDARY PROGRESSIVE MS ON THE 3RD , AFTER 2 AND HALF YEARS OF SEEING MY OLD NEUROLOGIST , WHO SENT ME FOR THE SAME TESTS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG , TO BE SENT TO A NEW ONE IN DEC 2016 , AND SHE LISTENED TO ME , SENT ME FOR A LUMBAR PUNCTURE WHICH THE OTHER ONE NEVER DID , AND JUST 2 DAYS AGO IT WAS CONFIRMED I HAD IT

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

kateybash
1 year ago

Hi Gerrie, that sounds awful. What a long wait for you, how are you feeling? I went for a lumbar puncture last week and am waiting to hear from my neurologist. I have only been waiting since Christmas so you must have felt really frustrated. At least now you can tackle things better hopefully. All the best.
Kate

stumbler
1 year ago

Hi @gerriecogley and welcome.

Waiting around 2½ years for a diagnosis is, unfortunately, not unusual. Diagnosing MS is notoriously difficult and the diagnosis in never given lightly.

Diagnosis consists of a physical examination several tests, e.g. MRI scans, and details of your clinical history. By clinical history, I mean your recollection of any mysterious health events, which may be linked.

Obviously, this latest Neuro is a bit more proactive than the former conservative one.

Here’s a short booklet on Secondary Progressive MS (SPMS) that you might find useful :-

https://support.mstrust.org.uk/file/secondary-progressive-ms-introduction.pdf

gerriecogley
1 year ago

Thank you , my 1st neurologist never ever said it could be , he was like the absent minded professor and every time I saw him he done the same tests , never looked at the results properly he just clicked on them and clicked off them , and at the end always asked me what was worse in me , and it always my legs , so he concentrated on that , even though I asked for a test for ms , he refused , so glad with my new one she listened and agreed , and I have Ms , so angry with the 1st dr , could of had diagnosis quicker if he listened to me

brendan
1 year ago

Hi Gerrie, can I just post a quick comment one thing you said in your post. “She listened” I had the same thing with an NHS physio. Asked me questions and didn’t take any notice of whatever I replied, she was just ticking boxes, going through the motions, not listening to the patient! Private physio Nick Blade. Wow he was so good. He listened to my words, he heard me. He got on to my GP for a referral to the spinal unit, which lead to my diagnosis. However, I must also say, everybody else I have dealt with regarding any treatments or diagnosis have been fantastic, I really mean that. I guess I was just unlucky that one day. Thanks, Brendan.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.