Last reply 5 months ago
Job Troubles

So I just got a new job recently and I’m finding that this is the first job I have had that requires me to be on my feet for a long period of time since I’ve been diagnosed. Any 4-6 hour shifts honestly kills my legs and my back. I’m not sure what to do anymore, it’s making the job miserable for me. Any recommendations on finding the right job?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

Hi @alyssasheff and welcome.

Well, you’re on one of the better MS treatments, which should keep your MS under control. And, you have age on your side. So, things could potentially improve for you.

The obvious answer to your question about employment is to take a job that doesn’t involve a requirement to be on your feet all the time. But, as suggested in my paragraph above, the situation could improve for you. 😉

gp14
5 months ago

Hi @alyssasheff if the pain is persistent you could ask your employer to provide you with adequate breaks to rest through out the day and also if you can do some of your role sitting down. Is that possible? When making that request I would get a letter from your doctor/nurse about your diagnosis too. I would also discuss the pain with your MS nurse to see how you can control the pain. I hope that helps 🙂

cameron
5 months ago

it’s maybe the time to look at what you’re putting on your feet! is your footwear sensible enough?! Slingbacks, sandals and heels are probably not a good idea. Tired feet need support at the heel and ankle. Gel insoles can relieve pressure, too., and you can get them over the counter. If your feet are 100% comfortable, you may find that you don’t get the backache. Just my thoughts,xx

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.