Last reply 1 year ago
Job search

Hello everyone,
this time i have some question about your jobs. What kind of jobs do you have, how did you get them (unemployment office??) How long do you work on a day? Do you have any work reliefs?
i thank in advance

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

drose2712
1 year ago

I am in full time employment as a software developer, luckily I work from home with a company that is very flexible

matic91
1 year ago

@drose2712 thanks for the reply and do you have any let us say physical issues due to MS (leg problems…) ?

nicecupoftea
1 year ago

@matic91 I am a post graduate student part time and work part time for a charity doing face to face work with children and families. I am out and about meeting them in schools, their home, and taking groups on activities as well. I have control over my diary and have been able to build in flexibility over when I make appointments and how often in the week, and can build in a bit of wriggle room for if I’m feeling really tired or unwell. I often do my paperwork from home. In terms of “reasonable adjustments”, when I got the diagnosis I firmed up that I would be able to continue doing all of this to do the job so it is protected. Being able to work from home makes a big difference for me, and being able to work flexibly i.e. if I feel bad and need to start late or finish early one day I can work longer​ another day without having to jump through any hoops so long as I work my hours. I generally work 5-9hour days so that I average 7hours a day. I also was able to install a filter on my computer, control the temperature, and not put the florescent lights on in the office. They’ve been really good about it all.

I already had the job when I got the diagnosis. I declared my migraines and fatigue and balance issues after I secured the job.

Having said all that, it’s a short contract and ends soon and I’m a bit worried about whether other employers will be so accommodating!!

matic91
1 year ago

@nicecupoftea thanks for your reply 🙂 wish you all the luck in future. I was on a seminar for job search of people with MS and the speaker told us that some companies really try to find people like us so that they dont have to pay for something but till now i havent found any such companies all avoid employing disabled people and it starts to worry me. Hopefully ill find something suitable for me soon.

hank
1 year ago

hi , i am still working with M.S. diagnosed 7 years with P.P.M.S. so it has got worse, work for a really good employer, a large not for profit housing provider.
a few suggestions;-

pick a large employer they are more likely to be able to keep you as condition gets worse
be realistic about what you can do now and in future, ( i used to manage 30 guys and a million pound budget, now i work in a call centre, sitting down talking to customers and dealing with repairs)
if you are not bad at present, in my experience dont declare , before getting job, you probably wont even get an interview , i know in theory disabled people should be interviewed anyway but i found it didnt happen.
consider jobs where you will be sitting most of time
once you are established,most companies will do everything to help you , my company have given me special hours i nly work 4 days, special shifts i ork 8.30-4.30, special keyboard, special chair, and most importantly in a call centre special targets.
i am still working at 64 but will retire this year, it took me a while and lots of applications , but dont give up.

yours martin

matic91
1 year ago

@hank thanks for the reply. I also thought that i shouldnt tell my employer about my disease, but it is kind of visible that i have problems with my legs and besides i think it is not how to say appropriate or legal to keep my health situation for myself. I dont know, im just thinking out loud. 🙁 as you said most companies wont even look at me once they know that im disabled.

kattyazz
1 year ago

@matic91 – it’s so so tricky. I’m actually massively reconsidering my work direction… I was a tv producer working on documentaries but I’ve taken a step back to get my lemtrada started (did that a couple weeks ago). Feel totally ready to resume but errr no idea what to do about what I feel is a dirty secret. Totally frustrating as I’m not convinced production is the most forgiving industry. Been debating contacting old employer (head of recruitment for london production company) and fessing up/asking her opinion. Not sure this is the most sensible idea, but feel she knows me and loved me before I disappeared… uggg… any advice from people in the know? Or suggestions for career change? I used to be badass – lost confidence more recently after being told straight up the ms was the reason they couldn’t offer me job (so a lesson in staying shtum too) … sorry not sure this that helpful – def agree with @hank re bigger companies… xxx

matic91
1 year ago

@kattyazz yeah i totally agree and understand your situation. I dont have any confidence in myself because during my study we had absolutely no practice so that i dont know if i know anything and i dont want to mess up certain things. Im a translator and it is an appropriate job for people with MS however if you dont know which texts you are able to translate then you have a great problem. Besides if i become a private entrepreneur i dont understand the paper work shit and had to pay taxes without any profit.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.