Last reply 1 year ago
JCL positive

I’m supposed to start Tecfidera, but my preliminary blood work just came back as JCL positive. My neurologist is saying that so long as I keep up with my monthly blood work, he’s fine with me starting. Anyone else on Tecfidera & JCL positive?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

willglasgow
1 year ago

I am. And had similar advice from my neurologist, and am still on tec. I get my blood taken every quarter to check that my white blood count is OK and as long as that stays stable I’m cool to stay on the same treatment. I was super anxious that, having just got used to tec, I’d have to change treatments onto something more invasive than a couple of tablets a day. so for now, its all good, but another ms thing to keep an eye on…

There are only a handful of cases with PML for tecifdera that can be attributed to Tec. Many people using tysabri switch to tecfidera after a few years to minimize PML risk, but its likely that it wasnt Tecfidera but the other drug that caused the pml. The few unconfouned cases happened to much older people that had sustained drops in lymphocytes for long periods of time. The hope is that testing every 3 months will allow you to stop Tecfidera before running the risk of pml. My wife is taking Tecfidera and thats what we are hoping for.

alyb
1 year ago

Thank you both. That helps me feel better.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.