Last reply 1 week ago
I've never seen my MRIs

I would like to see or even get hold of a copy of my first MRI Scan and the follow up one with contrast if possible, I’ve not ever seen them in full, only a few brief and random images.

Could my MS Nurse possibly email them to me?.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

grandma
2 weeks ago

Don’t see why not. I saw my ms. Nurse laser Friday, she verbally gave me the results of my latest MRI, I don’t know whether she had access to the actual images it was just reading what the neuro had decided what the changes were, but it’s got to be worth a call🙏🏻👍😍

vixen
2 weeks ago

Hi @peterfrancis. I paid privately for my first mri and thus inherited it on a CD. But, it makes no sense to me, the untrained eye. Written reports are written in neuro speak too. If you got a copy, maybe your GP could review with you? Good luck….

robbie_brown
2 weeks ago

@peterfrancis I was thinking the exact same thing a few weeks ago about trying to get hold of my MRI’s as I had one in mid 2017 with no issues then another one in March 2018 with 4 leisons, I also wanted to find out where exactly they are as well, I’m going to ring my MS nurse tomorrow to enquire and will keep in contact to see how we both get on

peterfrancis
2 weeks ago

I just want to sere a full image of the first scan I had back in 2017… Asterall it’s my Brain, right?.

I will contact my Nurse and see what she can do if anything.

peterfrancis
2 weeks ago

@vixen

It’s just my curiosity to see it in all it’s glory.

Not bothered by all the neuro gobbledy gook, just want to see the scan.

dominics
2 weeks ago

They are no longer on film these days, and the digital files can be very large. Too large to email outside of a network.

This means that you’ll need to have them burnt onto CD. The NHS is not advanced enough to put them onto a high capacity SD.

Radiology will usually pop them onto a CD for a tenner. Ensure they are in a format that can be read by your PC/Mac.

Your nurse is a good first port of call. If you want to see it and not own it they are likely to be able to call it up on theirachine for you when you are there of you ask nicely.

Good luck.

Dominic

mlgilber1
2 weeks ago

I always get a downloaded copy from the imaging center so that way I can have them and take with me to other doctors. It shouldn’t be a problem if you ask.

peterfrancis
2 weeks ago

@mlgilber1

That’s the kind of thing I would like, thanks I’ll get on the case over the next few days.

nutshell88
2 weeks ago

Better nit
Even if you think you csn simply see it
You wouldnt forget it evei didnt forget the first and second one i’ve seen
nor the last in 2014

peterfrancis
1 week ago

So, I emailed my MS Nurse requesting to see my MRI Scans a few days ago, got a reply today saying that unfortunately they are not able to send scan images but I can apply to see them via the Ministries Department at the Hospital… err ok, some help please.

dominics
1 week ago

@peterfrancis I am not sure what a ‘Ministries Department’ is. Did you mean Radiology? I mentioned previously that the file sizes are usually too big to ping around outside of their network. @stumbler is the IT whizzo, he’ll likely know the reason?

Did you ask them why? Is this a case of merely viewing it. or are you after a permanent copy/record?

Viewing it – I would have thought they’d be happy to show you. In my hospital all imagery (xrays/scans) are on the hospital network. This means that anyone clinical can see them wherever they are logged on. It may not be that easy. I know that not all IT systems go across the NHS. It is just a case of calling it up and saying, there you go. If you want to see MRI of an MS brain looks like, then go here: https://goo.gl/ohFn8a

As above –
>>
Radiology will usually pop them onto a CD for a tenner. Ensure they are in a format that can be read by your PC/Mac.
<<
Best of luck.

Dominic

peterfrancis
1 week ago

@dominics

I’ve no idea what a Ministries Dept is either, no Radiology was not mentioned. The Email was very short, just saying to contact the Ministries Dept. No contact info or details nothing really, oh well.

dominics
1 week ago

Peculiar name sounds quite Orwellian.

I guess the next email is asking for the telephone/email of such a department?

Good luck.

Dominic

PS: I’d save until last resort, but a quick email to the Trust Board, enclosing the email from the MS nurse asking if they could help as you are getting nowhere.

birdboy
1 week ago

I just asked to see the MRI when I was with the consultant and took a picture with my phone!

stumbler
1 week ago

@peterfrancis , I have no idea of the Ministries Department either!

Anyway, they cannot refuse you a copy of your records. The Data Protection Act covers that, although they are allowed to make a nominal charge.

Emailing personal data could be problematic due to emails not being a secure method of transmission. But burning to a CD/DVD in a standard image format should be a normal procedure for them.

peterfrancis
1 week ago

Much appreciated @stumbler, thanks.

blue07
1 week ago

@peterfrancis, I too am trying to get a copy of my MRI, its never been a problem in the past but its all about the privacy and permissions thing. I had to email an official signed form and a copy of my ID. I’m in NZ so slightly different but essentially the same thing ‘protecting your personal info’ , when I get a disk I then download it it to a usb and carry it in my hand bag so other medical people can view it if they can’t access the inter hospital records.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.