melissa-g 27/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Is this spasticity?

Hi everyone, just a little unsure of what exactly is going on so I thought what better place to get a little advice 🙂

I don’t get a lot of spasms, mostly just a bit of twitching here and there, but once in a while I get what I call a “charley horse” in my calves. What I mean by that is the muscles tighten up in a big painful knot and won’t let go, and my leg and sticks out at a weird angle unable to move. I had a really bad one a few days ago, probably the worst I’ve ever had, and I’m still having pain from it three days later. The muscles feel really tight and sore, and it hurts to walk or when I try to stretch it at all. I thought this was a sort of leftover pain from that bad spasm, but now my other calf has started feeling the same way, tight and really sore. Does this sound like a spasticity type of issue to you guys? And if so, at what point should I involve my neurologists office. I really try to wait until I absolutely have to contact them, because they always just make me feel like they think I’m an over reactor, or making stuff up.

I appreciate any advice!
M

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@melissa.g , have a read through this and see if it offers any help and advice :-

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/spasticity.jsp

melissa-g
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler

CClaire
3 years ago

My physio said they would rather know about problems sooner rather than later. They can’t mind read! Phone them. The things you’re describing sound like extensor spasms. Check out some diagrams on the mstrust website.xx

tabbycat
3 years ago

There are lots of good exercises that a physio who understands Ms can help you with. I do a set most days and they really help, so don’t be shy about asking!

CClaire
3 years ago

Spasms get worse when you have an infection developing, maybe you could put a sample in at the doctors? I had a uti a couple of years ago and the spasms were awful. 🙁 xx

simone2
3 years ago

Hi, Have you tryed Magnesium it really helps with spasms.

melissa-g
3 years ago

@simone2 I hadn’t been taking it recently but I’ve started on it again, hopefully that will help!

danrb80
3 years ago

I get the same thing in both thighs, bloody hurts. Makes it hard to walk and usually lasts a few days. Had it 15 times now since August 14 so used to it now. Good luck 😀

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.