tigerdes 12/03/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Irritability

Over the past couple of months I’ve really noticed how irascible I’ve become. It’s not been an easy year to 18 months for us.
– We’ve sold our house twice – original sale collapsed
– Bought a new house which had to go through probate
– Renovated the house once probate was granted lots of evenings and weekends lost to that
– Lived with the outlaws for six months with our two children while waiting for probate to be granted
– I’ve changed jobs into a new more challenging role
– And it’s been a good nine months since I last had some real relaxing time off work

I think it’s all just caught up on me and though the stress has ebbed away my irritability hasn’t yet. Also forgetting things a lot more recently and struggling to concentrate. Anyone else suffer from this? Do I just need a break from it all? Got some time off for Easter so I’m hoping that will help me get sorted.

Just feels better sharing – I don’t really have a support network to talk to about my MS stuff. Thanks for reading 🙂

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

tracyd
3 years ago

@tigerdes

Blimey …. you need a break, that time off at Easter should be about rest and relaxation, not a few days off to do ‘stuff’ that you have been meaning to get around to like gardening, a bit of DIY etc. You’re lifestyle is very active, take some time to do fun active stuff just because you can 🙂

tigerdes
3 years ago

Thanks Tracy – it’s one of those things when you know you really need a break but you always fret about all the other things that need doing and people in your life that need your help, time or support! 15 days to go … 🙂

tracyd
3 years ago

It’s important to do the ‘getaway’ bit after a long and stressful time, that complete change of environment, habits and routine or you just end up doing ‘more of the same’ for a few days while you’re not at work and it doesn’t seem to recharge your batteries.

It doesn’t even need to be something fancy or expensive, right now I’d probably snatch an offer out of someone’s hands and skip down the street for the offer of a 2 man tent and all the bits and pieces that go with it just to go and pitch in a field somewhere near a pub and a nice place for food perhaps with a river or the sea nearby, no TV, no interwebs, no phone and just chill (although if I’m brutally honest I’d rather my aunt lent me her RV and drove it the 250 miles down to me 🙂 …)

Time off sometimes needs to be self time, rather than spending time with relatives or planned time to do stuff, it’s about the break from responsibilities and time to enjoy yourselves and each other. If you forget to pack your underwear, take towels or toothbrush it’s not the end of the world cheap replacements for those things can be picked up – forgetting a child or a pet is far worse (we once drove to the North East of England and upon arrival realised we’d left the dog at home alone – mum and I got back in the car drove the 200+ miles home, stayed overnight and then drove back again – with the dog this time)

Stepping away from it all gives your brain time to decompress, it should help with the irritability 🙂

Right I’m off to take my own blasted advice typing this has made me realise what a bloody hypocrite I am my last proper holiday was August 2011 (my honeymoon), I’m snappy and short tempered and quite often a bit of a bitch, every bit of time off since before the wedding has been visiting family, spending every last minute we could with mum before she died, funerals – far too many funerals, house sales, probate, MS, or hangover related and I should call Aunty Kathy and enquire about the RV or her camping equipment !!!! 🙂

tigerdes
3 years ago

Thanks Tracy that did make smile! We are planning a proper holiday for the summer but going to start thinking of some fun distracting things to do with my ten days off 🙂

Tell your Auntie Kathy I said Hi 😉

stumbler
3 years ago

@tigerdes , it’s important to acknowledge that, whilst MS may be your condition, it will be felt by everyone within your family unit.

Life and frustration go hand-in-hand as frustration does with MS.

We all need to offload and let off some steam. And that’s where this forum comes in. You can get so much off your chest and we understand why you’re doing it.

It’s best to let off steam here, rather than cause an atmosphere at home.

And, @tracyd , what exactly are you going to do with your two men in a tent? It sounds interesting. Brings a whole new meaning to the offence of “Loitering with intent” (within tent!) ! lol 😆

tracyd
3 years ago

@stumbler …. The two man test will be lovely and comfortable with me, my husband and the two fearsome dog beasts all snuggled in there together 🙂 there wouldn’t be room for another man – even if we stacked neatly 🙂

tracyd
3 years ago

TENT dagnammit … not test 🙁

tigerdes
3 years ago

Cheers @stumbler I think the difficulty is that my better half doesn’t want to talk about it or acknowledge it. In a strange way the fact that Lemtrada had such a positive effect kind of made that problem a bit worse. It makes it difficult to address as a family unit when it still feels like a bit of a taboo subject!

@tracy I just wanted to apologise and clarify as my last post probably seemed a bit insensitive. I’m sorry to hear about the challenges you’ve been facing and hope your new found determination for a break serves you well.

The bit that made me smile was the opening paragraph. Just had visions of being in a tent in the middle of nowhere with halitosis and old manky pants and suddenly remembering I’d left the dog at home. Your posts have really helped my perspective. Apologies again Tiger

stumbler
3 years ago

@tigerdes , it’s not unusual for MS to be the “elephant in the room”. It fits in with the philosophy of “I have MS, MS doesn’t have me”, i.e. it doesn’t define you.

MS will always be a taboo subject, so it is best left in its box, until the box has to be opened again.

And, @tracyd , I’ll never look at a tent, or was it a test, in the same way again. lol 😆

tracyd
3 years ago

@tigerdes No offence taken at all 🙂 I’m incredibly irreverent about most things in life and being blonde a lot of things pass me by without me even noticing 🙂 🙂 🙂

Actually the halitosis and manky pants comment makes me reconsider somewhat the state my husband would be in after a few days EEEK :-O

@stumbler … Shush 🙂

andyc67
3 years ago

Irritable?
Im ALWAYS flippin irritable! Halitosis and Tents do not go together your a brave woman tracyd , my god im irritable now trying to type this out and forgetting what im , , uh typing .
I don’t know why im irritable , I just bite peoples heads off without understanding why.. I have 2 Holidays coming up which im looking forward to, one is up in the lakes which I always enjoy and the second is a honeymoon … im going back to Mexico yay .. and not so yay as the heat is going to cripple me I know , ive been before but I had just been told I had MS and didn’t quite understand it , but , im not going to let it stop me …
Tigerdes, you have had soooo much on your plate im not surprised your irritable , so much in so little time, anybody would of pulled their hair out but your photo shows you got past that bit already. which team? by the way.
Good luck and enjoy your deserved rest.

Now wheres me stress ball

Regards
AndyC

Anonymous
3 years ago

@tigerdes,

I have never heard anybody else say that about MS being taboo. My spouse has no tolerance for the subject at all! I am trying to beat MS by researching everything that comes my way and I cannot share it. It mystifies me. I am having a miserable time with this disease and feel alone. I found something for the first time in history that gives me a chance to have a life again and I think that is huge! This blog is where I share! I have to believe it is some sort of fear or defense mechanism for some people. But you have to respect it.

Best Regards!

Anonymous
3 years ago

@stumbler,

I hate that saying! MS has had me for most of 9 years. My box has only almost been closed when treated with Tysabri. My body did not care for it after 1.5 years. I thought I had other choices but found out the hard way that I needed something stronger. That is why lemtrada has my attention. Just blow up my broken immune system and start over again. Pretty simplistic description of a sophisticated process!

Best Regards!

tigerdes
3 years ago

@mbrsinc my other half was the one who first diagnosed me – about a year before the doctors. She’s a physio and just really understands how devastating the illness can be. The trouble is it means she doesn’t want to talk about it.

I totally know what you mean about it meaning you feel really alone and isolated. If you ever feel the need to vent or discuss something drop me a PM 🙂

Anonymous
3 years ago

@tigerdes,

Thanks for that! Very kind of you to offer. Same offer to you. You have an Interesting situation. Your wife is very aware of what could happen. A lot of what could happen has already happened to me and my spouse puts their head in the sand. We need lemtrada to stem the tide!

angelbum
3 years ago

Great post guys smiling now 🙂

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.