fuzzyjonclay 24/01/17
Last reply 1 year ago
Insurance policies (life, home etc), UK

Hi everyone

I’ve just purchased a house with my girlfriend and we’re looking into the various insurance policies that come with that (aka the endless money pit!).

Can anyone please recommend a) what insurances I could get without being a millionaire (I’m assuming that illness cover for the mortgage is probably out of reach here) and b) any particular insurance vendors that are sympathetic to our particular “problem”? I’m based in the UK.

Many thanks
Jon

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
1 year ago

Non-life insurance , e.g. Building and Contents Cover should not involve increased premiums because of your MS. The Equalities Act 2010 won’t allow it!

fuzzyjonclay
1 year ago

Thanks @stumbler. Thankfully the buildings insurance is covered by the annual service charge anyway.

I’m particularly interested in the kind of insurance that will help pay the mortgage if I’m away from work for an extended period. I’ve been told (not on an MS forum, I hasten to add!) that costs for this would be prohibitive due to my “pre-existing condition”. I find this plausible, although I don’t agree with it (!), but there must be something I could go for.

stumbler
1 year ago

@fuzzyjonclay , any form of income protection insurance would be prohibitively expensive, as the possibility of you claiming is considered a lot higher than ordinary “Joe Public”.

No harm in asking around though. Good luck

fuzzyjonclay
1 year ago

@stumbler, Very true 🙂 All the insurance bods are going to be severely harassed by me over the next few months 😉

avrilt
1 year ago

@fuzzyjonclay Congratulations on your new house – exciting times. I moved house last year and we used a mortgage broker. I was able to get life insurance but I was told critical illness was not possible due to the MS as no company would want to insure me. This was before I had a pay out on a previous critical illness cover policy, so I know that was not a factor. Maybe you could set up some sort of savings account to help you if you get ill or you could put extra into the mortgae to try and pay off quicker? I know it is not really a fair situation to be in.

But I wish you guys well in your new home.

Avril

jessvf14
1 year ago

The ma society have information about insurance that is quite handy, and there’s somewhere that will provide a list of companies that are good for people with “illnesses”.
https://www.mssociety.org.uk/insurance-and-ms
I was declined critical illness on the mortgage because even though at the time I wasn’t diagnosed I had undergone tests. Ms isn’t considered to reduce our lifespan though so I think life insurance is fine. And our buildings and contents never asked about any conditions. Oh and be prepared for everyone to want access to your medical records befor they’re prepared to finalise your quote! It’s really annoying!

lucyh
1 year ago

Hi @fuzzyjonclay, I was at MS Life in London and Fish Insurance were there….they might have something or they might know some company that does! Best of luck, lucyh

rhymenocerous
1 year ago

@lucyh that is great info, many thanks for sharing Fish Insurance. @fuzzyjonclay I’ve just rung the Fish Insurance company and they’ve told me that it’s a case-by-case basis as to whether they can offer critical illness cover (they call it ‘Serious Illness Cover’) and if so what illnesses are excluded from being covered dependent on your current pre-existing condition(s). I didn’t think you could get critical illness cover at ALL having MS, so this is great news!

Apparently you fill in the application form, then the underwriters look into your pre-existing conditions and decide whether to insure you for life and critical illness or just life insurance. If you’re offered critical illnesses they said it will probably have a caveat that you can’t claim for certain illnesses. Which illnesses you can’t claim for will be dependent on what pre-existing condition(s) you have….but in summary you may be able to get critical illness for illnesses that don’t have an association with MS.

lucyh
1 year ago

Oh, I’m delighted it was useful information @rhymenocerous ….I have mentioned it to a couple of people, but I genuinely don’t work for them 🙂 However, they did have a gorgeous guy working that day, with a lovely, soft Northern accent (I hope it’s ok to oggle at my age….I was old enough to be his mother!!!).

Take care, lucyh xx

rhymenocerous
1 year ago

Haha, @lucyh gorgeous person with northern accent works for me too, it is the BEST marketing tactic ever invented 😉

fuzzyjonclay
1 year ago

Thank you so much everyone!!

I’ll check it all out this weekend 🙂

Jon

lucyh
1 year ago

Hi Guys, @rhymenocerous, thanks for the pre-weekend laughs, I’ll be aware of this marketing ploy in future!! 😉 😉

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.