gates1989 07/03/18
Last reply 2 months ago
Iffy legs and nervousness

The one biggest issue I deal with every day is the unpredictability nature of my legs. When I know I have to do something that makes me nervous or I worry about something, my legs go stiff and I walk terribly. I know it’s my mind that causes this, does anyone else have this and if so, what do you do to help? I take my vitamins Cos I heard iron can help but so far, not much has changed! Thanks x

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

@gates1989 , it’s anxiety. However, knowing what the problem is and know how to manage it are two different things:-

There’s some info here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/anxiety

vixen
3 months ago

Hello @gates1989,I think I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I tell my
husband that I’m feeling a bit shaky. But, it’s not bodily kind of shakes, it’s more of a nervous kind. And funnily enough, when I have been thinking about my woes and am a little submerged in my thoughts, I find my walking gets a ittle worse. The mind is so incredibly powerful. I’ve never experienced anxiety before but since being diagnosed last year I experience it quite a lot. But, I am learning to distract myself and it really works. Like watching a trash TV programme. Chatting on the phone, planning a trip or holiday. Thinking about how I would spend a million pounds if I had one week to spend it. Stupid things like that. And lo and behold, the shakiness stops. Stay strong x

londonlad
3 months ago

@gates1989

Hope your second round off treatment went well!

I can relate so much to this. Last year, months after my diagnosis, I could barley leave my flat at times. When I did, I could often end up, feeling overwhelmed. When I did, I felt panicky about my balance etc, and it made it worse. As time went past, I realised I was suffering anexity.

What I also found was that the worry of being worried, caused an endless cycle of worry. And you’re also told stress makes things worse.. yet more worry.

I think 2 things helped… one, time. But the second for me, was meditation, and mindfulness. I didn’t believe it could help.but thought fk it!

So having found, the very well known app, headspace, I started and after a while, found myself using breathing to calm myself when out and about. And overtime things got better.

Of course other things may have helped, but I do think it’s powerful. the narrator talks about this cycle and our relationship with our thoughts. And how we can learn to cope with them or almost control them, by accepting them. This empowers you, and calms you, which inturn can reduce anexity

Im sure other methods can help, but perhaps it might help you too.

Take care

gates1989
3 months ago

Thank you guys for your comments, maybe I’ll give Mindfulness a go, it’s always when I am out and about, I’ve started getting the train again to work and I worry about being slow which makes my walking slower obviously lol! Deep breaths!! Lol xx

edmontonalberta
3 months ago

@gates1989

Cedelle,

My legs are rubber; I have no idea where my feet are unless I am looking. No big deal since I look. But now I know why seniors are always looking down when they walk – LOL

As others pointed out, relax… And focus to be sure.

joanne46
3 months ago

@gates1989…OMG that’s mad! 2016 before I was diagnosed I was paranoid that I may have MS and went to see my GP whose mother has MS because I felt my leg kept “contracting” every now and then…he assured me that MS would not present itself like that gave me some anti inflammatory gel to rub on (which I referred to as my magic gel) because it disappeared completely. Fast forward 12 months…and literally the day I was diagnosed the leg problem came back and all of a sudden the magic gel doesn’t work! It’s 100% anxiety and having read these posts I am going to try so hard to calm my mind and hopefully get rid of this annoying symptom x

hmcampos
3 months ago

@gates1989,

About the stiffy legs I get that from time to time. Usually happens when I am sitting for a longer period of time and usually goes away after a few seconds but indeed it makes walking a very weird thing to do during those few seconds.

I cannot give you any “relevant” tips other than be active and do not sit (desk job?) for more than 1h without getting up and walking for a while. I am active, I do sports daily and still I also get those “stiffly legs” more often than I would like.

Also tried mindfulness, works well for managing overall MS, so yes, give it a try, speccially for the anxiety part!

Be strong and take care!
H

Hi @gates1989 it is anxiety and I wish i knew how to switch it off too. Like you if I need to go anywhere my walking (especially balance!) is really effected. Mine is caused by a few falls and your confidence just gets eaten away!! I’m scared of falling every time I walk.

Try the Headspace thing. Didn’t work for me but may do for you! What have you got to lose?

gates1989
3 months ago

Thank you everyone for your comments I will download that thingy tonight. So I’ve discovered that when I am walking flat, and concentrating, I am fine, my trouble is when I am presented with a flight of stairs, I can go up absolutely fine without holding on, but going down my legs “jar” up, gotta be the anxiety right?! @joanne46 I might try an anti inflammatory gel just to see if it works lol if I tell myself it’s a cure maybe all symptoms will bugger off ay 😂

gates1989
3 months ago

@stumbler every time I try to message you it says there’s an error?!?!

stumbler
3 months ago

@gates1989 , Personal Message sent. 😉

lm24
3 months ago

I can totally relate to what you’re saying. I can be walking relatively ok with my two arm crutches but if I feel the slightest pressure/stress like simply someone holding a door open for me therefore feel the need to quicken up my legs go really stiff and my walking is terrible. I also feel the pressure if I know folk are watching me walk. My legs are worse if I need the loo as well. Wish I could turn it off but the more I say to myself in those situations just relax the worse they get! Aaagh!!

dmargarita
3 months ago

@gates1989 I can relate to this, it also happens to me, specially when i dont get enough sleep or when im very tired. Try to relax and i hope it gets better.

billkittens
3 months ago

What you’re experiencing is very real.
Lessen the anxiety where you can; so agree with what others have had to say in regard to this…
Your neurologist may feel you could benefit from drugs which can ease the stiffness
Your safety comes first – some aids may help
Best wishes

mikematter42
3 months ago

I have a problem with stiffness tooo, especially in the cold. Mindfulness certainly helps me. I also use two offtoe braces mostly due to my dropfootb and I always use a cane because I never know when my symptoms are going to hit, (I’ve also been told my cane can help avoid fatigue) but I found my stiffness is greatly reduced with cardio exercise (indoors if cold) and maintaining even blood sugar by having five small meals daily which has also been shown to help with anxiety.

gates1989
3 months ago

Well I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to discuss anxiety, god knows how I’m going to even begin to try and explain it! And then the 1st week of April I have an appointment to speak to someone about Savitex?? Is that it? Some spray that’s meant to help?? I don’t know! This is my biggest issue so if I can get a handle on it I’ll be very happy!! Xx

stumbler
3 months ago

@gates1989 , you’re talking about Sativex, a treatment for spasticity. Prescriptions for this are as rare as rockinghorse poo!

There’s some details here :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/sativex-nabiximols

somehills
2 months ago

Sativex is useful and is worth a try (if you can get it prescribed). My partner’s feeling was that it’s strength varied from batch to batch. Unfortunately her verdict was that the real thing worked way better. As for the stairs, she has the same problem, so my guess is that it may be more than just stress alone but I do hope you are getting things under control.

peterfrancis
2 months ago

I have similar issues with my legs and zero balance along with the brain fog being present permanently.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.