Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

There are no categories assigned yet.

stumbler
3 years ago

@angelbum , that’s an interesting question.

I would say that it is possible to diagnose with one scan, as long as that scan was of your brain and spine, with contrast (Gadolinium enhanced).

But, an MRI scan is just one part of the jigsaw. This needs to be viewed together with your clinical history. A Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP) test could add another piece to the jigsaw, as could a lumber puncture.

angelbum
3 years ago

I have had evoked and do have slow whatever from brain to leg ! No explanation

Also I have only had one scan . No dye .

Non specific lesions what ever that’s meant to be ?

My query is what if they have missed the onset of ms . Is the mri scan pattern change the longer you have had ms ? Do you get more lesions ? All very complicated

Thanks again @stumbler 🙂

xander
3 years ago

i was diagnosed with one scan and a lumber puncture as wekk as loads of blood testes but thay found 20+ scars/lesions on my spine and 4 in my brain ( i was amazed they found my brain i didnt think i had one lol )

xander
3 years ago

ive had 2 scans since mind

stumbler
3 years ago

@angelbum, one proviso I overlooked when suggesting that one MRI scan is enough – you do need someone to interpret them that knows what they’re looking for!

Yes, the progression of MS can be seen by the presence of additional lesions on the MRI. But we also gain lesions as we age too!

angelbum
3 years ago

Hi thank you . Did you get diagnosed at the start of your symptoms ?

stumbler
3 years ago

@angelbum , my first symptom was in 1985, before MRI scanners were used. I was eventually diagnosed in 1997……..

angelbum
3 years ago

But can you have a small lesion load and still have ms . Can someone have like 3 lesions 20 years into the disease is this possible ? Or would they have more .

angelbum
3 years ago

So you waited all that year’s for a diagnoses ? You must have known yourself what you were up against you cant dismiss ms symptoms as much as you may want too if only

angelbum
3 years ago

Ahhh so they didn’t have mri till 1997 ?

angelbum
3 years ago

Well if so that explains why I never got one back in 1995 then …….

angelbum
3 years ago

Very little knowledge back then . Perhaps when I needed it the most

tracyd
3 years ago

I had a load, but then after the first one on the NHS I played my BUPA card and got them to do the diagnosis / scans etc privately. I have another at Basingstoke on the 18th on my brain with and without contrast plus I’m waiting for the appointment for brain and full spine with and without contrast at Southampton before my Lemtrada treatment starts on May 18th

xander
3 years ago

I’d had “issues” for years but ignored it started to fall over and walking around was really becoming a problem and couldn’t keep being a bloke and ignore it any more lol. I was diagnosed quite quickly but they have since told me I’ve had ms 10-15 years or so

pavo
3 years ago

just 1 scan no lumber puncture scan was so conclusive had been getting symptoms since at least 1994 maybe longer diagnosed 2002

fi70
3 years ago

I was diagnosed 10 years ago after 1 MRI scan following a bout of optic neuritis although I did know it was optic neuritis till my neurologist told me at the time of diagnosis. I have not had a scan since but I have only had 2 of what I would class acute relapses in the last 10 years but, this last one has knocked me for six so I wonder if I need another scan, although that will not change anything

aussiekylie
3 years ago

my first (and only) symptom was optic neuritis in June last year. Since then I’ve had a zillion blood tests,evoked response potential tests, brain mri (2 lesions),lumbar puncture (positive for oligoclonal bands), spine mri, chest X-ray and then 6 months later another brain & spine mri with contrast. Still no formal diagnosis as I have only had one “attack”,but classed as a clinically isolated syndrome.
So @angelbum one scan probably isn’t enough for diagnosis. As @stumbler has said, all these tests are to rule out any other illness so it can be a long road to diagnosis. My advice is to be proactive and get as fit and healthy as possible so you are better equipped to deal with what may or may not come.

Anonymous
3 years ago

You can be diagnosed on one scan if contrast is used and it shows dissemination in time. Look up the 2010 McDonald criteria.

stumbler
3 years ago

And, here’s a bit on the 2010 McDonald criteria:-

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/mcdonald.jsp

laurabeebee
3 years ago

After my first bout of optic neuritis – I had my first MRI in July last year without contrast, and was diagnosed a month later. I am thankful I was diagnosed quickly but was told I probably have had MS for 6 or more years. I am 33. I didn’t have a lumbar puncture either.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.