Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

We can’t control what other people think. They’re entitled to their own opinions, even though their opinion may be fundamentally wrong, just showing their shallow nature.

It’s them who have a disabled existence!

cazzzzzy
3 years ago

Some are too quick to judge aren’t they 🙁 😕 … I know when in the shop on my scooter and I stand up to reach something I’ve had rolled eyes and funny looks! … I’m sure some think I’m “just lazy” ! 😯 …

Yes I like that @stumbler – they have the disabled existence 😉

xxx

caterpillar
3 years ago

Thanks @jdd0310 :-), that was a good read, I think we all have those moments when people around us just don’t get it.
And if you think it is just ordinary folks who have no experience of any illness around… Oh no! Ignorance and arrogance do not show up in a shopping mall or at a bus stop only! I work at a busy hospital, here are some “interesting” quotes from my work colleagues:

“God, it must be great having those “disabled parking” permits!” ( Yeah, ask yourself why disabled folk have them and is that great…)

“And the huge cars those disabled people drive!” ( and how many electric wheelchairs can drive into a Nissan Micra???)

“And when you look at them, they just get out of their cars, no problem!” ( yhm… do you look long enough?)

I sometimes wonder if I am oversensitive, but I really find it more and more difficult to cope with. What would you do to shut them up?

BTW, they know I have MS, but I still walk OK ( I just get horribly tired, especially when it is hot). I have no parking permit ( at work I pay for every hour of parking near the hospital – it costs a bomb!).

graham100
3 years ago

Oh yes. My favourite saying. (You don’t get it. Till you’ve got it) So true. Because I know I would not have understood 3yrs ago. And even when I was first diagnosed and thought it was terrible having to hold my wife’s arm to walk any distance. Now I wish I was only that bad again,, and I would be happy?? Sounds crazy but there are so many levels of this bloody thing,, there will be someone worse than you. But not many of us think of that?? So there are different levels of insensitivity as well. Life’s a bitch,, lol

caterpillar
3 years ago

@graham100 I keep repeating your “You don’t get it till you’ve got it” in my head to keep calm and not say something ugly I might regret later 🙂

Keep well and all the best!

graham100
3 years ago

Haha. Yes it’s a great and true quote. People ask me, what’s it like? What do your legs feel like? I say to hard to explain, you won’t get it, till you’ve got it. So trust me. You don’t want to know. I was going to say, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. But I can’t. (I’m not nice). lol.

naomih
3 years ago

You can’t actually be sure that your presumption of what someone is thinking is right all the time. I was on holiday and saw a lady not much older than me on a very funky scooter mobility thing. She caught me looking and probably thought the worst, when I was actually thinking how bloody amazing it was and if the worst happens and I needed assistance with walking that was the machine for me!! I know its hard but try to not give words to looks as very often they would be either wrong or utterly irrelevant because they dont matter.

Anonymous
3 years ago

I know exactly how you feel when your well nobody bats an eye at you, because your a sheep like the rest but when you have Ms people talk and treat you differently.
I seem to have very little patients when your friends moan about there life .inside I feel like screaming at them and saying get a grip. but I don’t I just hold it in and smile. People say o I have done this and done that and we are going here and going there.
if im going anywhere its like a military operation have I got this have I got my pills etc I tire myself out before we even get there ,sometimes its best too do things on the spare of the moment.if we are asked to go out the wife always says we will see how he is, as if im not there, but this site is good because you can talk to people in the same boat.

northernlass
3 years ago

I seem to get looks as I pull into a disabled space.. (maybe I look younger than my years and so therefore not in need of a disabled space…!!!???!!! 🙂 ) but as soon as I post up my blue badge and drag out my legs and crutches they seem to turn away… but mostly I have found people are so kind if they see you with a walking stick or (as I need now) crutches.. opening doors… picking up fallen crutches.. moving out of the way a bit so you can pass.. just generally being helpful and kind. It is funny though as I do watch other people jump out of their massive 4×4’s in a disabled space… put up a blue badge and walk with gusto away from their cars and I can’t help but feel a bit envious of their ability..!! I’m trying not to judge as so many illnesses can be invisible to others but disabilitating to the sufferer even though they seem fine.. Just hope that one day that will be me leaping about like a young Giselle without an MS worry in the world.. roll on CURE DAY 😀

graham100
3 years ago

@northernlass. I think some of the people your talking about are going to get food for a disabled person so think it’s ok to use the badge. So annoying when I need my door to open fully so I can get out. Can’t use normal space. Without crunching the car nxt to me anyway. Lol

stumbler
3 years ago

@graham100 , what you’re suggesting above is an illegal use of a blue badge/disabled parking space.

An able-bodied person can use a disabled person’s Motability car, as long as it is for the disabled owner’s benefit! They cannot use the Blue Badge!

And, never question a person’s eligibility to be using a disabled parking bay. If they are that disrespectful and shouldn’t be there, they wouldn’t think twice about leaving you on the floor!!

graham100
3 years ago

@stumbler, don’t need to tell me about the legality of the blue badge,, it’s all the ones I speak of? And no prob telling them not to do it. My carer is 6’5 black belt. Lol

tracyd
3 years ago

When my mum died, her friend asked could she have my mum’s disabled badge for her own use. Somehow my response came out ‘no I’m afraid not that’s illegal and I have to return it now she’s gone’ … somewhat more civilised than what I actually wanted to say.

I have some signs in my car just for use in these occasions, the ones where a bunch of teenagers abandon their car in a disabled space at Sainsbury’s race into the store and race out with multiple cases of beer. They say the following

The person driving this vehicle has no disabled badge on display
Disability is not a choice
Being ignorant and thoughtless is both a choice and a character flaw

excalibur2015
3 years ago

I second that emotion…

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.