sunnydaylover 13/02/15
Last reply 3 years ago
how do you turn a fall into a roll

I fell last night. The dreaded first fall IN PUBLIC….of all places a pub…why am i so bothered what folk think of me.I don’t want them to think I am a drinker,..”eeh shes had a few, its only half 6″…I want to say “I’ve got MS, I’m not drunk”, but instead, I apologised for causing a scene…then got outside and cried. Saw the look of horror on ladies face as they all thought id cracked my head but thankfully theres something working between my head and my reactions as saw the wooden partition getting nearer to my face and managed to move my head to avoid it. MS IS A TOTAL PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I have some lovely colours on my arms and legs today :0(

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

northernlass
3 years ago

Hi hun if you look like the painted lady maybe you could join the circus for a bit.. learn how to do the rolls like the acrobats do.. leave when bruising has gone and get out there and show off your new tumbling skills… Tah Dah ..!! 😉 Hope you feel better soon.

sunnydaylover
3 years ago

thought you were kipping, lol

cameron
3 years ago

Can I recommend Pilates? I’ve been doing it for a few years and it DEFINITELY helps with balance and control. I sort of knew this and it always’feels’ a good thing to do ….. but a few weeks ago it was proved beyond doubt. I tripped on the hard edge of a furniture display in John Lewis of all places. I fell backwards. I should have cracked my skull. What actually happened was that mid-way to the floor I instinctively engaged core stomach muscles. Instead of falling my length my body went into a c-shape and I landed very softly on my bottom and my head came nowhere near the ground. No bruising, no marks. I told my Pilates teacher and she said that she gets told a lot of stories like mine. xxx

northernlass
3 years ago

Lol @sunnydaylover best laid plans and all that… 🙁 I like the idea of Pilates @cameron but when you start the lessons everyone else is so much more advanced and able to follow the weird indications on what to do….. ie: ..Do the high chair position (?) form a backward flying lotus (?) retreat into the yang position and hold..(?) I just made them up in case anyone thinks I have it wrong 😉

lindax
3 years ago

Falling the right way is an art unfortunately you can’t do it all the time! I sometimes know I’m going to fall, I just let myself fall and when I relax then I know what to do and a lot of times I just fall and roll or just duck my head hold on I usually have my husband to hold onto but that doesn’t work all the time either. I’ll be reading everybody’s responses to see if I can figure things out too with the falls. I have been getting MRI’s on my brain for three years and they all read the same thing: I have lesions on my brain but none on my spine. The doctors don’t want to commit to a diagnosis or even consider MS, so I continue to have really awful symptoms. One of the symptoms is I keep falling down. I have done some damage like breaking my ankle and recently breaking my wrist and rupturing a tendon to my thumb. I understand that falling is due to lesions on your spine so I don’t know why I’m falling. Can anybody out there give me an idea if you can have lesions on just your brain but have a balance issue?

graham100
3 years ago

I find it best to laugh. I was in a restaurant, wanted the loo. Two friends went with me. One in front and one behind. Me on crutches. Our friend singing. As we went past him I looked back to give a gesture of some kind. And lost my footing. As you fall with crutches you have to lose them or they could course more damage. My body guards where no use at all, laughing my head off till I felt the blood running down my face. They were really upset. They didn’t film it. The faces of the people on the table I just missed was a picture. lol.

lorag
3 years ago

Yes I have many embarrassing stories but the one that comes to mind is when I lost my balance walking into a elevator and fell face down and just reached out at the first thing I could grab which was the front of a mans pants ha ha ha I was sooo embarrassed and couldn’t stop saying sorry. All I can say you do get a technic and get to the point of stop getting upset about it but angry and just get back up and deal with the blood and bruises. It turns out to be a part of life.

reddivine
3 years ago

First fall but not the last. do you use a stick? Maybe try one. saves on face planting and bruises, I assure you. MS Society does actually sell t-shirts saying “I’M NOT DRUNK, I HAVE MS”

We all got embarressing stories.

glasshalffull
3 years ago

Join the club!
Two weeks ago I was coming out of the hospital of all places.
I had to walk about 100 yards to my car. 12 feet away I fell heavily on my RH side.
Badly bruised, shaken up a bit. Some helpful people immediately cam to my rescue.
I immediately mentioned that my balance is poor and it was my MS. I think this helps the situation
quite a bit. If you tell people, most people are very understanding.
Reading your plight, made me think of my own.
Regards,
Richard

caterpillar
3 years ago

@cameron you are absolutely right about the core muscles, every MSer should learn to use them. We tend to bend forward when walking and watch our feet, as it gives some feeling of control.

I was like that until my physiotherapist decided to try a sling – and it was just so embarassing as I thought at that point that I was in pretty good shape. And there I was, hanging like a total flop. I just could not hold those core muscles tight, no matter how hard I tried. The next day I bought the cheapest door sling (the instant type that does not need a man to hang it up) and started training at home, mostly to avoid another embarassment at the gym 🙂

3 months on and I have not had a single fall ( fingers still crossed – we still have icy winter here!). Tummy is a board. I have great plans to start pilates, just for variation to keep challenging those forgotten core muscles, thanks for the tip @cameron! 🙂

sunnydaylover
3 years ago

Thank you everyone,
Yeh, it shook me up at the time. Everyone thought I was going to crack my head on a 4×4″ piece of wood partition, but somehow I was quick enough to avert it, don’t know how, but eeh, i apologised to them all for disturbing their bar meal and got out quick for a good cry, lol. Oh the joys!!
I would love that t shirt, one for every day of the week in different colours, lol

cameron
3 years ago

@caterpillar: it’s been unfortunate that since before Christmas, I haven’t had regular Pilates because my teacher has changed venues and I’m now on a wait list for her regular class. So – after seven or so weeks without it, I went to my weekly session with the physio in the hydrotherapy pool. One of the exercises that week was to lie on my stomach with arms outstretched, as if about to start swimming. From that position I was to a) stretch my length then b) go into a c-curl, bringing the knees right under me. I couldn’t do it – REALLY couldn’t do it, even after three or four tries. The physio was surprised, said she would have expected me to have the core strength needed based on what I am normally like. The following week we tried again – same result. Later that week I had my first private Pilates class, having told my teacher of what had happened in the hydropool. The following Tuesday, it was back to the pool and – hey presto. I did that exercise quite easily. Makes you think!

caterpillar
3 years ago

@cameron Indeed! I think you were asked to do a similar knee crunch type of movement in the water as I was supposed to do from plank position in the sling – and I just couldn’t for the life of me! The fysio almost didn’t believe me. And yet… the core has to be targeted separately or it is cotton wool. And when the core is weak then arms and legs hang on this floppy middle part and the result is … yeah, kind of floppy even if the limbs are relatively strong :-). Pilates on msn for me, starting today!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.