lozwo 03/02/17
Last reply 1 year ago
House question !

So we are about to buy a new house as we have outgrown our current one. Do you think it would be a silly mistake to buy a 2 storey home? Or do I just look at what we could do in the future ? E.g. A lift.

I’ve had ms 13 years and have had a pretty good run, however have had issues with my legs the last few years. Hasn’t stopped me doing anything (mainly pain and funny feelings) however I’m aware this will most probably progress :-(.

Can I get your thoughts ? Live for now? Or plan for later….? Xx

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Iv just got a two story too I’m not too bothered about myself getting about adoptions can be made it be reet I wanted a nice home for my family so that’s what I got. Your local council will help you if you need them and will apply for grants if. Ended in your behalf.

doubleo7hud
1 year ago

Make a 5 year plan and plan for the future and get things in place you may or may not need now so your ready

potter
1 year ago

We built a single story house ten years ago, one reason we built it was to get a smaller house and the other reason was that I had trouble with the stairs. I wasn’t diagnosed with MS yet but we felt like it was time to move. I can’t imagine now living with all of those stairs (3 flights) now. Our new house has one staircase to the basement, go down there when tornado’s are nearby. If you can find a house with the master bedroom on the main floor and the others upstairs that might work for you. Potter

spunky
1 year ago

I say live for now! You never know what may happen in the future. Wouldn’t you hate to compromise on what your really want and never have a major issue with the stairs? It is all about your comfort and perspective. Whatever makes you happy!
Good luck.

cameron
1 year ago

The trouble is you don’t know what you’ll need until you need it! However I disagree with the ‘to hell with it’ attitude. Whatever the future is MS-wise for you, it’ll be better if you don’t have to contemplate the financial burden of a further house move forced on you by circumstance. I think you can have your cake and eat it, however. A two or even three-storey house may be perfectly OK. The main issue surely is – would you be able to live downstairs in that property if you had to? Is there a downstairs room that would convert to a bedroom? I’d also be looking very hard at front door access. You really don’t want any house with outdoor steps. If you get less mobile, you might struggle and have to resort to replacing steps with a ramp – definitely not ideal. Thirdly, you MOST DEFINITELY need a downstairs toilet with preferably adjoining shower facilities. You need this even if your mobility isn’t compromised! However, if there’s no existing downstairs toilet, it’s usually possible to install a small-bore toilet/wash basin/shower (Saniflo) in any available space, so a downstairs study, for example, could be turned into an en-suite bedroom. Another possibility is to convert a garage. That’s what was done in my house – my standard (quite narrow) integral garage converted to a granny annexe big enough to take a 4-ft bed, fitted wardrobe, bookcase and en-suite with disabled shower. Now that granny is no more, the ex-garage is my guest accommodation but I know I can make it my own bedroom if – heaven forbid – the need arises. There’ll be plenty of two and three-storey houses to choose from, I’m sure, but THINK AHEAD!

cameron
1 year ago

PS Should also have said that I investigated lifts a time ago, thinking that it would be less intrusive than a stairlift. There are some very compact models around £11,000. You need (obviously!) a space for it, i.e. a through area on ground and first floor. My modern house doesn’t have such a space, unless I were to remove the stairs or have the lift opening in the middle of my bedroom! So yes, a lift might be another option to consider, but the smaller the property the more difficult it may be to find the necessary space for one. Something else to consider when viewing properties!

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.