Last reply 6 years ago
HOLIDAYS – Short Breaks Fund

Just thought I would mention to people about the Short Breaks Fund that people can apply for through the MS Society.

The Society sold its respite properties recently and put the money into a pot for people with MS and their carers to have short breaks or activity holidays.

Anyone can apply and you just require a letter of support – my MS nurse wrote mine. You can choose any type on holiday – UK or abroad. The fund can offer partial or full payment of the break – I am camping in France for a week in Sept.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

aaron84
6 years ago

ive just been informed of this through ms society there sending me some forms so hopefully get some help with a break dont even care where could be bordeaux or blackpool just would be great to av a break aint had a holiday since diagnosed 2 years ago. camping in france sounds wicked im very jelous now

madmaz1
6 years ago

@aaron84 , well good luck with that , sounds like a great idea to get away 😉 could be doing with a break myself

madmaz1
6 years ago

i havent yet diagnosed so i wouldnt be entitled to any holiday , but believe me i need one , its been one of the toughest years of my life

tamarap
6 years ago

Hi Aaron, the forms are quite straight forward and all you need to do is get a quote for the holiday – it can be whatever you like. The Society took about a week to let me know I had been successful. We are going to the SW France, staying in a mobile home on the beach 🙂

aaron84
6 years ago

well i havnt got a particular hol in mind just dnt wanna be a mickey taker n book something ott lol what do they do if ur succesful do they contact yhe travel agent n pay them direct or send you a cheque? do you have a certain time period to book it in?

reddivine
6 years ago

Thanks Tamara, excellent tip! do they give info about hiring a wheelchair abroad?
Also I joined Disability rights UK and bought their book Holidays UK 2012……..full of info about places in the UK, mobility schemes, accom and the like. Could come in very handy.

bubblesgalore
6 years ago

wow, thanks for the tip…. i will now be looking into it xx

tamarap
6 years ago

Hi all,

This scheme is brilliant 🙂 My MS nurse mentioned it to me as she said she thought I deserved a break 🙂 You can pick the holiday that you want so it can cost any amount and the society decide if they will pay part or all of the costs. The leaflet gives a lot of info about recommended companies in both the uk and abroad. It also explained that they can fund carers and equipment (wheelchairs etc) whilst you are away. My trip may sound lavish (going to France) but it is an airport 2 miles from my front door, a 2hr flight and a 5min taxi journey at the other end – no driving for me. Being in a caravan also allowed people im travelling with to pay their own share of the trip. The Society normally pay the travel agent direct but as my trip is separate flights and accomodation I had a direct payment within a week and just need to send them my receipts.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.