Last reply 5 months ago
Hepatitis B vaccine

I was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago, I have relapse and remitting MS. Thankfully I have very mild and brief relapses, and I’m not receiving any treatment for my MS.

I have recently met a partner who has told me they have chronic hepatitis B, which has left me with a huge dilemma. If I was to stay with my partner I’d need to receive the Hepatitis B vaccine to safeguard myself, but I’m uneasy with the idea of having the Hepatitis B vaccine as the link between the vaccine and MS is negative. And I wouldn’t want to do anything that could cause my MS to progress.

I’d be grateful if I could hear others experiences with their MS and having the Hepatitis B vaccine please.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
5 months ago

Hi @jamjam and welcome.

Prevention will be preferable to having to manage another condition on top of your MS, especially as your MS is presently under control.

On most issues, the internet can provide us with both information and misinformation, so we have to be careful sifting through it. I’d be tempted to be guided by creditable websites, like :-

https://www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/hepatitis-b-vaccine

So, get the vaccine and enjoy your new relationship. 😉

stephz
5 months ago

Hi @jamjam – I had the HepB vaccine for work just after an unknown relapse (I was diagnosed later that year 2016) I then had the booster a year later and 3 months after official diagnosis. I had no added issues or effects and it didn’t impact the relapse at all. You can always check with your neurologist or mS nurse but in certain cases it’s better to go for prevention as @stumbler says.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.