Last reply 1 month ago
Help with a sister in denial

Hi all, I have a sister who was diagnosed in 1998 but who now seems to be in denial about her condition. I meet a barrier each time I broach the subject and was wondering if anyone had advice. I understand that denial can sometimes be a mechanism to protect against the things we don’t want to deal with but my sister is now in a situation where she can barely walk. She talks of her condition in terms of the knock on symptoms rather than as MS. She is 53 years old and lives alone and is a private and isolated person by nature.

Is this a common approach for those coming (or should I say “not coming”) to terms with there situation?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

mmhhpp
1 month ago

She may have moved on, there is not much you can do about ms . I am a bit like that …… I think it helps .

stumbler
1 month ago

edmontonalberta
1 month ago

@mejekel

“seems to be in denial”???

I refer to this as facing reality. They have done nothing for me from Day 1; they will do nothing until I die… So why dwell on it?

We only live once; the key is to focus on what we can do while living our life. Having as much fun as possible along the way!

mejekel
1 month ago

@edmontonalberta
I said appears because I cannot truely know what another person feels. I don’t see a happy person having fun though – that’s what breaks my heart.

edmontonalberta
1 month ago

@mejekel

Then that is what I would focus on. Sit her down & ask. Let her know everything is on the table & confidential.

Ask her to share what she can & can not do; what makes her happy within the limitations of MS. She does not need to answer today; let her think things through before responding. This is how I would deal with the situation.

As an example I am heading out to play Bridge in a 1/2 hour. I like the game so this will get me out of the house having fun this afternoon. Tomorrow – who knows…

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.