sandracharles 26/03/15
Last reply 2 years ago

I am flying to HK in two weeks, son is getting married. I am petrified. Will I managed the toilets, I cannot walk, but can stand and shuffle. Will I be able to get to my seat. My daughter is going with me, and says don’t worry we will manage. Any tips please.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

2 years ago

@sandracharles , preparation is key.

I assume that the airline knows that you will require assistance and will help you navigate the airport through to your seat in the jet. And the same in Hong Kong.

Let the airline know that you need a seat fairly close to the plane’s “facilities”. Pay to pre-book convenient seats if necessary.

And dress prepared for the possibility of any accidents, having a change of underwear/clothes in your hand luggage.

Just prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

And, enjoy the occasion. 😉

2 years ago

Hi @sandracharles I would Google about the disabled toilet facilities available in HK, do you need a key like we do here (Radar key available from your local council I gather..!!?) if so where to get one.. are there special Taxi’s you have to book if you have a disability and need more room or easier access.. if so how can you book one..? Can you hire a wheelchair for your visit in HK (Maybe even an electric one..!!?) Is your accommodation suitable for your needs..!!? Like @stumbler say’s be prepared for the worst and preparation for your trip in a few ways may help you to feel a bit more relaxed about your journey and stay and then you can enjoy the reason why you came out to HK…I bet your son will really appreciate the effort you will be making and then you will be back home before you know it 🙂 Best wishes

2 years ago

Hi there,
I have travelled a lot recently by air and found as long as I informed the airline beforehand, special assistance was provided in form of a wheelchair and short cuts through security etc.There has always been someone waiting for me at the other end too with a wheelchair. I have found that UK airports do not have many special assistance staff compared to other countries, so you may need to allow extra time.

On the plane different airlines seem to have different policies about where to seat people who need assistance, so speak to the airline first and you may need to pay to book a seat near loo, or they may seat you there for free! I hope it all goes well for you

2 years ago

HI thanks for the encouragement, I know I am probably worried about nothing. I think the older you get the more you worry. I never thought I would be that person, I am 70 in a few weeks, never thought I would get there either. I just want to start the travelling day, then what will be will be. Thanks again.

2 years ago

I can understand you are worried, but to re assure you (I hope!) I recently travelled from the UK to Miami and then on to Charleston on my own. I was really scared as I do rely on my husband a lot and have never travelled alone before, but it was fine, everyone was really helpful and it was definately worth making the journey

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.