suzie10 22/01/18
Last reply 3 months ago
Help

Hi All

I have been working since I was diagnosed with MS, but I am now finding it too difficult doing full time hours. I also am suffering fatigue which is making me feel even worse. I get PIP, but when I called up to ask if I lowered my working hours due to my disability would I get help and I was just straight told no! Is this right, am I not entitled to anything other than PIP, I cant keep up full time work.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Suz

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 months ago

Hi @suzie10 and welcome.

Yes, PIP is a flat rate, which you either get or you don’t.

I’m not sure whether this scheme may be able to help :-

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

They won’t cover your shortfall if you reduced your hours, but may be able to finance an easier way to travel there and back, etc..

holly12345
3 months ago

@suzie10

If you gave up work completely you can claim ESA there’s 2 types income based and contribution based. If you get contribution based and in the support group you would get it for life.
It might be confusing when you look it up but just give me a shout I know the system
Rebecca 😀

suzie10
3 months ago

Thanks Guys

Stumbler I get standard PIP. Thanks ill have a look into that address.

Rebecca….do you know the rates of both from ESA. I have looked it up and to be completely honest I am not 100% sure I understand it. I work 37.5 hours a week at the moment. I have now just been diagnosed with MS fatigue which isn’t ideal. I have asked to take my lunch at the end of the day to finish earlier and I believe there is something that if you suffer from this you are entitled to 20% reduced time?
I’m just finding working full time is getting very difficult.

Any advise would be great 🙂

Suzanne x

stumbler
3 months ago

@suzie10 , the Access to Work scheme is an additional grant to PIP.

As for ESA, it would be best to consult your local CAB about this. They’re usually well up on Benefits.

I’m sure you could negotiate a 20% reduction in your hours under the “reasonable adjustments” part of the Equality Act 2010, which aims to prevent discrimination in the case of ill health.

However, a 20% reduction in hours would mean a 20% reduction in pay, as your employers aren’t a charity. 😉

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.