Last reply 3 years ago
Hello, running, & isn't diagnosis awful?

I don’t mean that fact of ms (although, let’s face it….:) but, in my case at least, the gap between what you’re told to expect and the actual experience (at least send me off with an ms soc leaflet….)

Anyways, hello, I’m new, finding the interface a bit glitchy on ios, glad to have three friend requests already, let’s see if I can work out how to accept, and let’s see if my punctuation. improves.

anyone else do any running and have advice?

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

Anonymous
3 years ago

I only run if I’m late for something but do a lot of walking at the weekends!

Glad you’ve found this site. Hope you’re holding up ok, diagnosis is indeed awful.

chunes
3 years ago

Thanks @sandwich, am doing ok on the whole (:

stumbler
3 years ago

Hi @chunes , there’s a few runners on the forum. I found these previous discussions, using the forum search function (magnifying glass, top left) and searching for running :-
https://shift.ms/?s=running
😉

jrdiddle
3 years ago

I run. I do about 20 miles a week at the moment as training for the London marathon. I’ve done around a dozen half marathons so far along with a few 10k runs and Rock Solid 10k too.

danelle
3 years ago

I’m a runner with MS. Running is my sanity. Everyday I get out for a run I’m truly grateful for the moment. Are you a new runner? If so my advise is stretch like crazy before and after. In the summer I try to run before noon and keep a ice pack ready for when I return. Small ice pack in my sports bra too if it’s really hot.

chunes
3 years ago

Thanks everyone,I’m encouraged! Not new to running, but only just getting back into it post-diagnosis. Knocked 2 mins off my local 20 min route last week (the day I started this thread..:)

So, keep cool – any other advice?

One night in the next few weeks I’ll go back to the running club. They don’t all know (and the guy that does is a nurse who, the night I told him used phrases like “downward spiral” – though tbf he hadn’t realised what I was trying to tell him at the time). But digress – point is I’m a bit unsure what to say when I return.

Cheers

chunes
3 years ago

Thanks @jrdiddle and @danelle . I did my first 40 min run last week. It went well, but I reckon it sets my symptoms off – sensory leg stuff on RHS, where I have some arthritis in knee. This doesn’t happen until the day after running. Does anyone else find this?

northeast19282
3 years ago

Hi I put a post on earlier in the week about this as wanted to ask the same question. I use to run a lot but stopped shortly after I was diagnosed two and a half years ago after always needing the toilet and also falling badly after catching my feet. I love running and really want to get back into it. I started again in 2013 but I am struggling as when I go at the moment it feels completely different, I end up running into the ground if that makes sense? I can’t yet run a mile after previously running about 20 miles a week. I too use to be a member of a running club. How have you got back into running? I am determined to be able to do it again!

Catherine

chunes
3 years ago

Hi Catherine @northeast19282/

I guess the short answer is that my symptoms are different to yours – there’s no special trick that I’m aware of. Have you tried physio?

chunes
3 years ago

I’ve just received a running vest from the US. New technology, soaks up and holds water, keeps you cool. Not uses it yet, still winter here. If anyone’s interested I can pass on details / let you know how I get on

janep
3 years ago

Hi @chunes, I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the new vest, I’ve found the wristband/bandana versions can be handy for commuting or walking but they don’t stand up to much more than that. Ta! Jane

thecuriosity
3 years ago

I’d argue running is pretty awful, but I still do it, because I do feel better and accomplished when I’ve done a run. I struggle with anything too far (not that I did much more than 10k before),for similar reasons to @northeast19282 – I basically feel like I’m a jiggling bag of fluid. :/ It’s weird how your mind can mess with you.

I much prefer swimming. I think as long as you’re still able to do something you love it’s all ok though. When I can no longer go for a swim I will be pretty miserable.

chunes
3 years ago

@janep remind me in a few months, I’ll have tried it by then…

@thecuriosity , funny you should say that, for me swimming is pretty aweful, and running – or being outdoors walking at least – is my sanity (:

thecuriosity
3 years ago

@chunes just proves that different things work for different people 😉 also, lots of outdoor swimming near me so I make the most of both outdoors and swimming.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.