luluale 17/02/17
Last reply 12 months ago
Healthy food

Morning!!!I’m new here so I try to get more information about this…can someone tell me please what I can eat or not?!?i’m from Romania so i read information about but I found that i’m not aloud to eat cheese,yogurt it’s true?!?thank’s

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the โ€˜xโ€™.

cameron
1 year ago

There are probably as many views on what to eat as there are MSers who post here! The important thing is to eat to keep healthy. That could mean going vegetarian or vegan and equally could mean a Mediterranean diet. General advice on healthy eating applies – low fat, low sugar, enough protein, lots of vegetables. We all need to keep the weight off and try and avoid acquiring health conditions on top of the MS. THAT’S what counts. BTW, as regards yoghurt, I believe the latest advice is to go for the full-fat plain variety, which has less sugar than the flavoured and lower-fat kinds and keeps you fuller for longer. Greek yogurt (the kind that is actually made in Greece as opposed to British branded) has more protein, too.

stumbler
1 year ago

Hi, @luluale and welcome.

Diets are a contentious issue. Some MSers swear by them, whilst others see them as a way of living more healthily, thereby making you feel better generally.

There are various dietary regimens, dairy-free, gluten-free, legume-free, etc.

However, it may be best to maintain a food diary, recording what you eat. Then, dependant on who you and your MS feel on any particular day, you can go back and try and locate the potential cause.

Obviously, a healthy, balanced diet is a good place to start. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
1 year ago

Hi @cameron, I was born in Cambridge so a place close to my heart ๐Ÿ˜€
Good advice above. I’m on the Ashton Embryo Best Bet diet (one of the originals) which is gluten, dairy and legume free, but there are loads now SWANK, OMS, MS diet for women, PALEO to name a few. I’m also refined sugar and processed food free. I have a little red wine and maybe 4 coffees a week, but like stumbler has said write a food diary and listen to your body and see what works for you. I’ve been testing and tweaking my diet for 10 years! Also are you taking any supplements? Good luck ๐Ÿ™ƒ

potter
1 year ago

When I was first diagnosed I switched to almond milk but didn’t give up cheese. I keep some Lactos Free milk around for cooking. Fresh pineapple or frozen pineapple juice reduces inflammation in the body so I have it everyday, it is the only fruit that has bromelaid. Also dark berries such as blueberries are good at fighting inflammation. Potter

speedwriter42
12 months ago

Just as different MS drugs suit different people, so do different diets. You have to find which one suits you. Eating a healthy low fat, low sugar and low salt diet with lots of vegetables is a good start. So is keeping a diary of what food you eat and what symptoms you get. People whose immune system doesnโ€™t work very well can also suffer from food intolerances. Itโ€™s usually the things you eat most often that cause food intolerance. I find milk makes me very tired, coffee gives me migraines and fatty foods make me nauseous, so it is easy to tell what to avoid.

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.