Last reply 2 months ago
Health Tips Please

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I am excited to meet all of you. I’m wondering if anyone can shed some light on diet? Is there a guideline of certain foods that should be avoided? Also, is it wise to get a flu/pneumonia vaccine? I wasn’t sure if this would be wise due to the immune system being compromised?? Thx!

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

katrinaf93
2 months ago

Hi dani! Welcome. I haven’t been here long and I’m really interested in diet. My neuro suggested staying away from foods with high saturated fat. There are a lot of ‘Ms diets’ out there and it’s something I’d be interested in looking into as well. I’ve also recently started turmeric, b12, d and flaxseed oil supplements. I also had the flu vaccination and became ill with chest and conjunctivitis not too long after. No idea if conincidence or not. They nurse giving the jab did tell me though it wouldn’t stop you getting the flu but would reduce implications and I can say although I felt grim, I can say MS symptoms didn’t feel any worse and there was no flare up as such. I’ve had an MRI since which showed one more leison I was told this could be the result of infection so could have been worse?!? It’s a matter of trial and errors I suppose. ❤️

katrinaf93
2 months ago

@dani316 just to add, I’m not following any diet at the minute but would be interested in starting if I knew what 🙈

grandma
2 months ago

Hi @ dani316 current thinking is have the flu jab, though I must say it seems a little late half way through March, but admittedly flu can strike at any time! In the old days before antibiotics it used to kill and surely anything we can do….. and in these days if you’ve got ms, and can have it for free at any age🥊😜

stumbler
2 months ago

Hi @dani316 , diet is a wide-ranging subject, with various diets suggested for MS. Select the “Diet” tag, that has been automatically added to the bottom of your post above, to access all the previous articles.

Flu and pneumonia shots? Yes. These are nasty infections, if you haven’t got MS. We need to do what we can to avoid them.

highlander
2 months ago

@dani316
It’s up to you with the vaccinations….
But I was advised to have them which I did with no ill effects.
The pneumonia vaccine apparently is a one of jab for life.
I just have a reasonably healthy diet.
I’m far from perfect but who is?

dani316
2 months ago

Thx to everyone for replying to my post. I will definitely look under the diet tab for further information. I am going to reluctantly say yes to the flu next year. Thx again!

dramaqueen
2 months ago

Get in touch with ms society they will advise. They do a magazine called pathways its very informative not depressing. Keeps you informed with all aspects concerning our illness no matter what stage. Wished i’d have known about it years ago. They recommend a dairy free diet. Best wishes sandra.x

dani316
2 months ago

@dramaqueen I was unaware of magazine. I will definitely look into this. I went a couple of weeks to a MS Society meet up here locally. Unfortunately I did not have a good experience.

edmontonalberta
2 months ago

@dani316

Then stay far, far away from your local MS Society meet ups.

My first wife was diagnosed with Scleroderma; went to a few meet ups then left permanently – they were too depressing for her. I will never attend an MS meet up since I need to surround myself with happy, positive people. And talking about my MS gets me angry & depressed; so I do not…

Maybe I am living in a dream world. But it works for me… 😉

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.