clare80 05/06/17
Last reply 7 months ago
Has anyone else heard of LIFNano?

Came across this article today:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/business/technology/meet-cambridge-scientist-verge-curing-13129687
Clearly written from a certain angle about a spin-out company that is talking up its potential to secure more funding. Am always sceptical of any supposed “cure”, but thought it was interesting. Their website suggests that Gavin Giovannoni is lined up to lead clinical trials from 2020. Couldn’t find anything on MS Trust or MS Society websites about it. Barts blog has something from 2015: http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.com/search?q=LIF&max-results=20&by-date=true
Maybe it is old news which I missed before and it is being promoted locally to help with the next round of fundraising, but would be interested to know if anyone else has heard about it. Thanks.

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

californiadreamin
8 months ago

I saw that same article today. Its seems like this has been going for a lot of years so I wasnt really sure when they were actually going to start anything. Still not sure when its really moving forward. Sounds good and as you mention Gavin Giovannoni is listed on their board along with a lot of other really top talent.

There are some other places like tischms.org that also seem promising but not really convinced of anything till they have some public results to share.

The thing I am waiting for is from GeNeuro. They have published results and hopefully we will have results in the next 3-6 months.

geneuro.com/data/documents/GeNeuro-presentation-January-2017.pdf

mmhhpp
8 months ago

Thanks for all this! Early days for LIF we will see…. I heard of GeNeuro, i am looking forward to see the results…x

potter
8 months ago

You read about research projects and they get your hopes up then they vanish never be heard from again. Several years ago a trial was started using a older AIDS treatment, it had fewer side effects and was inexpensive. I tried to find a paper on the results of the trial and never could find it. I was so disappointed, my hope was the people that can’ t afford treatment could finally have it. In the US you have to be able to pay for good insurance and the deductible to get treatment. Then you have to pick from the medications the insurance offers, you want to take Tecfidera but they only offer you with Rebif for example. I am still hopeful there is so many new drugs and old drugs being tested. Potter

michaelpay
8 months ago

I read a couple articles about it yesterday, must admit, unlike alot of other bits ive read this got me really quite excited! early days i know, but it sounds promising

Anonymous
8 months ago

@potter there is a lot of publication bias, especially if the research contractor/team have a vested interest in demonstrating positive results. If a trial goes missing or the results were never published, chances are the findings didn’t show what they were ‘supposed’ to show.

Hence my recommendation is to check the Cochrane Library of Systematic Reviews, these reviews are the best evidence available and assess all sorts of biases in the research process. As far as possible Cochrane Reviews also dig up unpublished (read ‘unsuccesfful’ trials).

When I last looked (and it’s a while ago) there is also a register of clinical trials where any trial worth reading will be registered before it starts – it’s for transparancy and accountability reasons so ‘unfavourable’ trials don’t just vanish.

thoughtful x

potter
8 months ago

I’ll take a look at the Cochrane Reviews, thank you for the information. I usually dig into this stuff when I am having a down day and I am too tired to get much physical work accomplished. I usually over did it the day before like I did today. I scrubbed the patio furniture and grill and also gave a my big mural a good cleaning. Rested and had lunch and then I went grocery shopping. Too Too Much Potter

mmhhpp
8 months ago

cameron
8 months ago

Yes, read the link mentioned above. I’m afraid it pulls the idea to pieces.

clare80
8 months ago

Thank you all for your comments and the further links. As we thought then – early stage idea talking up potential to get funding. Still I guess all these things have to start somewhere…

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.