northernlass 05/05/15
Last reply 3 years ago
Got a cold and now MS symptoms worse..!!

Hi is it possible that having just a common cold (Sniffles, sneezes and sore throat) can bring on a worsening of my mobility symptoms…??. My legs don’t want to move very well today (Not that I was ready to run any marathons but I could walk wonkily with a stick..) they feel more NUMB than usual and I am exhausted (been 5 days of feeling drained.. 🙁 Had a nettle tea given to me on Thursday and lets just say the “Detox” effects lasted for 2 days…and left me feeling REALLY drained). I’m upset as I have arranged to meet a couple of friends for coffee later who don’t know I have MS and now it may become apparent that I have issues with walking.. not so consistent with having a bad back, which is what I tell people who ask “Why the stick ?” ..and BTW I do really have a bad back but I had back injections a few weeks ago and that has helped with the pain but didn’t get out of the starting blocks as far as improving my mobility with MS concerned. Going to make the effort to meet them .. got to get out of my house while I still can… Laters peeps..

Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the ‘x’.

stumbler
3 years ago

@northernlass , any little bug or infection, which activates our compromised immune system, can cause a “pseudo-exacerbation”.

This is explained as follows :-

“A pseudoexacerbation is a temporary aggravation of MS symptoms – including muscle weakness, tingling, spasms and vision difficulties – that have previously appeared in the patient. Typically, a pseudoexacerbation lasts 24 hours or less.

In the majority of MS patients, a pseudoexacerbation is triggered by a rise in body temperature, which, in turn, may be caused by fever (due to infection), the environment (e.g., sun exposure, a hot bath), or exercise (e.g., mowing the lawn). Once the stressor causing the rise in body temperature is removed, symptoms quickly disappear.

Though “pseudo” may seem to imply that the aggravation is “fake,” the symptoms are, in fact, very real. It is important to note, however, that unlike a true exacerbation – which involves an actual worsening of the disease that may last from several days to several weeks, or longer – a pseudoexacerbation represents disease flare-up, not disease progression.

Pseudoexacerbations occur because the central nervous system doesn’t operate as efficiently at higher temperatures, and therefore even the slightest rise in temperature can cause the body to mimic an MS attack. During a pseudoexacerbation, the body is essentially unmasking symptoms of a previous inflammation, causing them to reappear. To prevent a pseudoexacerbation from occurring, MS patients should take care to avoid overexertion, combine exercise with rest, and limit exposure to the sun and other hot environments (e.g., whirlpool baths).”
Taken from http://www.lahey.org/Departments_and_Locations/Departments/Multiple_Sclerosis_%28MS%29_Center/Frequently_Asked_Questions.aspx

northernlass
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler I have just gotten back from coffee with my friend, it was so nice to catch up with my her over a cuppa outside of my house..(been in for days). Glad I made the effort but now I am really pooped.. 🙁 I hope this is just a Pseudoexacerbation and it sod off in a day or so… or maybe it is all from drinking that “Healthy” nettle tea and now this cold… :-/ Fingers, eyes and legs crossed (if I can move them into place… stubborn buggers).. Here’s to veg’ing out on the sofa because I feel as weak as a kitten…

stumbler
3 years ago

@northernlass , it’s probably the cold or another winter bug.

Just take it easy and “ride the storm out”. 😉

northernlass
3 years ago

Thanks @stumbler … have got my feet up as I type.. Lazy is my middle name.. well it’s not it’s Anne but you know 🙂

cameron
3 years ago

I suggest you swap the nettle tea for a large Sauvignon Blanc.

northernlass
3 years ago

Hi @cameron That sounds like a bloody good idea 😛 but maybe when I feel a bit better…!!, can hardly walk at the moment due to cold (??) but if I add a bit of vino into the mix I think I may end up on my back… 😛

northernlass
3 years ago

OMG Why didn’t I listen to my own words… last night felt better with the cold.. (Still lingering but much better) so decided I had earned a few glasses of nice Aussie “TUMBLE JUICE” to help me relax on a Friday night as my right leg has been playing up for days and maybe a little relax would help… with all the limping back and forth to my kitchen with walking stick to top up glass decided to bring bottle into me and just rest easy in the front room with easy access Chardonnay to hand.. (bad move..) bottle got finished.. 🙁 and when I tried to take my first step up the stairs to bed my ankle just gave way and I had my second tumble in as many weeks…. 🙁 SPLAT on my already dubious back… eventually crawled onto sofa again and stayed there until mother nature insisted I get up.. which I did and decided while up with the help of my son I would tackle the “Mountain to Bedfordshire”.. made it but by the time I woke up I could hardly move and have spent my Saturday rigged up to a very overworked tens machine and dosed up to the eyeballs on Diazepam … I can hardly move so am spending my weekend horizontal back down on the sofa using my kids as “Mummy’s little helper slaves” … Hope your weekend will be a lot nicer than mine y’all 😀

stumbler
3 years ago

Take care, @northernlass . 🙄

lina
3 years ago

Hope you are feeling better @northernlass kids at my school reception and nursery coming down with tummy bugs so I am taking my Yakult to top my immune system up so I don’t get it keep well and rest plenty if you can.

Lina xx

northernlass
3 years ago

Hi @lina down side of working with those little germ incubators on a daily basis… Can you not wear one of those germ mask things they have in China when the pollution is high.. 🙂 . I remember an epidemic of illness at my kids primary school… just about all the kids, teachers, and parents were getting ill at some point over a month but the school stayed open and insisted you send your kids in if they were just a little unwell so as to make up their stupid attendance levels… should have shut the place for a week and fumigated it. I am now thank fully over my cold but I fell over the other night (Mine and “Chardonnay’s” fault) and have banged my back so now I can barely walk… feeling quite sorry for myself and am homebound and on crutches as a consequence (not seen or asked for any health professionals about it at the mo.. just hope I can do a self repair and get back to my normal wobbly one walking stick self soon) Thanks for your asking after me 🙂

northernlass
3 years ago

Even though I have been in and resting in a horizontal position for all of the day/evening/night/weekend I am still suffering with back pain due to tumble but it feels less intense, could be the constant top up of Diazepam tablets that keep the real pain away or that I am in fact on the mend… too scared to call in the professionals at this point in case they send me to stay in hospital as I have no one to look after my two young people (15 & 18 with special needs) 🙁 so will just solider on for now and hope for the best… :-/ Right leg seems a tiny bit more responsive at the ankle so hope that it was a Pseudoexacerbation thing and I get back to normal on that leg soon… 🙂

cameron
3 years ago

This is just to pass on my physio’s advice for back issues: don’t stay in the same position (i.e. sitting or standing/walking or still) for too long – alternating frequently helps to prevent stiffness building up. Also, apply heat and cold alternately… so a hot water bottle followed by icepacks. (I find this v. difficult to do! Heat is easy, cold less so, but have found an alternative: hot bath, then just before getting into bed, smear the back with Biofreeze.) xxx

lina
3 years ago

Hi @northernlass I’m lucky not got the sickness bug but my bones are achy in my back just feel tired all the time. Horrendous headache on saturday felt dizzy so bought some cool it headache and that seemed to cure the headache as @cameron advice yes hot water bottles then cold compresses and maybe the odd massage which I have every 3 weeks now and maybe keeping on the move if possible tried my lumber puncture cushion very hard so it is going back to Argos will sleep with my cushion under my back tonight as hubby bought new mattress 2 years go as he had a bad back but not comfy for me. If anything happens to me just going to ring ambulance if I can’t move stick with the wine if you enjoy it.

Take care

Lina

Post Comment

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.