Add categories

Browse categories and add by clicking on them

You can remove current categories below by clicking the β€˜x’.

stumbler
10 months ago

@saffy92 , there’s a lot of MSers that will tell you that that diet makes them feel better. Whether it has a positive impact on relapses is not clear, but feeling healthier generally would be a bonus.

The best thing to do is keep a food diary, recording what you eat. Then if you have an off-day, you can check back to see what you have recently eaten.

Anonymous
10 months ago

That’s a good idea. I wouldn’t have thought of that haha thank you !

rambles
10 months ago

@saffy92 – I am trying to be gluten and dairy free to see if it makes a difference. Too soon to tell but I found all the information on the Overcoming MS website and the literature really interesting and helpful on getting started. The OMS diet is not gluten free but I thought I would try that as well … in for a penny …☺. There are so many MS diets but the info on the OMS one certainly contains lots of positive stories and lots of people seem to find it helpful. Good luck if you give it a go!

Anonymous
10 months ago

Im going to look into this OMS diet . I’m literally trying everything to slow down flare ups haha thank you @rambles

rambles
10 months ago

Yes, anything but more flare ups – definitely worth sacrificing chocolate (at least for a bit) ☺.

The website is a good starting point: overcomingms.org !

Anonymous
10 months ago

@rambles chocolate is the hardest thing to give up haha

chezy17
10 months ago

Chocolate, coffee and wine 😊, I think I would literally cry if I gave them up, gotta enjoy some things in life right?! 😊I did go gluten free and feel alot better when I don’t eat it, I absorb my vitamins better too 😊.

Only flare up I’ve had is from catching the flu πŸ™ˆ!

rambles
10 months ago

@saffy92 ☺ There are some quite good recipes on the diet and I don’t think alcohol is restricted (within reason) …

isaacson72
10 months ago

I have started limiting dairy. I haven’t cut it out entirely – there just isn’t a good substitute for cheese – but I severely limit it and I think I feel a lot better. I don’t know if it’ll cut down on MS issues but I feel better, so that’s worth it to me.

chezy17
10 months ago

Try goats cheese, it tastes really nice and I know it’s classed as dairy free, someone I know substituted as they were allergic to dairy 😊.

hollylb10
10 months ago

To help you decide on what to cut out I would really recommend the film fork over knife on Netflix. It is not about MS but about animal protein and how it effects the body causing diseases such as cancer, heart disease and autoimmune disease. It has even got my husband, who is a big meat and junk food eater to make swaps and changes in his food choices!

cameron
10 months ago

Have you come across Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s books? His ‘Light and Easy’ recipe book works on the principle that modern diet is too focused on dairy and wheat and a lot of the recipes are suitable for vegans and coeliacs. His view is that everyone is on a continuum as regards dairy/wheat tolerance – some people need or choose to give them up altogether but the majority benefit from finding alternatives for at least a part of each week. This is echoed by other things I’ve read, where doctors are cautious about giving up food groups entirely, which can lead to developing intolerances. The overall view at the moment seems to be that the human gut needs variety, with the emphasis on a plant-based diet and the minimum of processed foods. Certainly the recipes in the HFW book are easy and quite indulgent!

cbeebies
10 months ago

I have been following OMS for 6 years now. Only stopped caffeine as it wasn’t helping my urge incontinence. A glass of red wine is fine, even encouraged! Don’t miss cheese anymore and Alpro do a great range of nut milks. Experiment with cooking, you’ll be surprised.

cammo
10 months ago

@saffy92 I have been on the OMS diet for a year now. I am not sure if it is working but I didn’t have new lesions on my last 6 monthly MS. So my neuro thinks the MS is “under control”. Could be the diet, could be the drugs.
The OMS mantra is “do whatever it takes”. What they mean by this is, take the drugs, exercise eat low saturated fats, meditate… anything that people think will help.
But cheese is so hard to give up.
I try to keep it to a minimum but I do still indulge in cheese every now and again.
They do not discourage wine… my wife does, but the diet doesn’t

salvador
10 months ago

I’ve been keeping strictly to the OMS diet for the last month and it’s almost immediately had a huge (and I mean huge) impact on my fatigue levels. I’ve gone from having to go to be for two hours late afternoon almost every day to working full days for the first time since I was diagnosed a couple of years ago.

I’m typing this in a car park at 6.30pm while waiting for my daughter to return from a school trip. I dropped her here 12 hours ago and have since worked a full fay and had a filling at the dentist without returning home. That would have been unthinkable a few months ag (and in the depths of Winter too – I always feel better in the sunshine).

Thank the Lord for OMS (if he exists, of course). On second thoughts, thank you very much Professor Jelinek😁.

Join Shift.ms to reply to this post.

Become part of the community so you can chat, compare and learn from other MSers.